December Season 2012

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance that do not belong elsewhere. It is also for the announcement of workshops, lectures, and performances.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

User avatar
ragamala
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:37 am
Location: UK?ITALY/INDIA
Contact:

December Season 2012

Postby ragamala » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:23 pm

Anyone going? It's been a while since I've been there but this year I'll be in Chennai for the second half of Dec.

User avatar
ragamala
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:37 am
Location: UK?ITALY/INDIA
Contact:

Re: December Season 2012

Postby ragamala » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:37 am

No? Looks like I'm on my own then ;-)

User avatar
ragamala
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:37 am
Location: UK?ITALY/INDIA
Contact:

Re: December Season 2012

Postby ragamala » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Getting down to a shortlist of performances I might be interested in. Cut down list of about only 600 available to me now.

User avatar
ragamala
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:37 am
Location: UK?ITALY/INDIA
Contact:

Re: December Season 2012

Postby ragamala » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:46 am

Number bumped. For excellent detailed and searchable schedule see
http://kutcheris.com/schedule.php

pbercker
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 7:53 am
Location: st peters missouri

Re: December Season 2012

Postby pbercker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:18 am

ragamala wrote:Number bumped. For excellent detailed and searchable schedule see
http://kutcheris.com/schedule.php


I just looked at the schedule .... it's unbelievable how much there is to select from! Is this simply a december thing, or is there this wealth of possibilities every month?

I noticed, by the way, that at least 2 events will be broadcast live online on monday!

Pascal
My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.

User avatar
ragamala
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:37 am
Location: UK?ITALY/INDIA
Contact:

Re: December Season 2012

Postby ragamala » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 pm

pbercker wrote:
ragamala wrote:Number bumped. For excellent detailed and searchable schedule see
http://kutcheris.com/schedule.php


I just looked at the schedule .... it's unbelievable how much there is to select from! Is this simply a december thing, or is there this wealth of possibilities every month?

I noticed, by the way, that at least 2 events will be broadcast live online on monday!

Pascal


The Season was I think original centred around the Music Academy's annual festival. But snce then it has broadened, with many smaller sabhas (societies) putting on events. I believe as the pressure on halls for performances has mounted some of the sabhas without their own halls have ben forced to hire halls outside the peak. So in reality the "December" season, extends from November through to January, when dance starts to take over.

Most, if not all, of the morning and early afternoon concerts give the opportunity of younger and up-and-coming artists to perform. "Seasoned" artists usually perform in the ticketed evening concerts, often performing on several occasions at different sabhas over the season.

I have only been in Chennai during December, so haven't knowledge of how frequently there are concerts through the rest of the year, but I suspect there is a lot of activity. But not, of course like in the season, when at weekends, as you will have found, there can be over 100 concerts to choose from in a single day! Staggering.

pbercker
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 7:53 am
Location: st peters missouri

Re: December Season 2012

Postby pbercker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:34 pm

ragamala wrote:
The Season was I think original centred around the Music Academy's annual festival. But snce then it has broadened, with many smaller sabhas (societies) putting on events. I believe as the pressure on halls for performances has mounted some of the sabhas without their own halls have ben forced to hire halls outside the peak. So in reality the "December" season, extends from November through to January, when dance starts to take over.

Most, if not all, of the morning and early afternoon concerts give the opportunity of younger and up-and-coming artists to perform. "Seasoned" artists usually perform in the ticketed evening concerts, often performing on several occasions at different sabhas over the season.

I have only been in Chennai during December, so haven't knowledge of how frequently there are concerts through the rest of the year, but I suspect there is a lot of activity. But not, of course like in the season, when at weekends, as you will have found, there can be over 100 concerts to choose from in a single day! Staggering.


According to the wikipedia entry for "madras music season", this 6-week music festival as become one of the world's largest cultural event! What a treat that must be!


PB
My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.


Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSIONS / UPCOMING PROGRAMS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest