Thumris

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance that do not belong elsewhere. It is also for the announcement of workshops, lectures, and performances.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Christianamr

Thumris

Postby Christianamr » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:02 pm

I really was looking for Bhajans , but stumbled upon this Thumri because the search results get mixed up .
I like thumris ( though it´s not my favourite style ) , but somehow or other I don´t listen to them often ; but then after hearing this one by Ajoy Chakraborty I was really perplexed ... It had to be posted .

I checked out if there exists a separate topic for Thumris , and seeing the lack of it I created this one .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRoIEVTtkvQ

" Yaad Piya Ki Aaye "

composed by Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan

According to different sources it is in Bhinna Shadja or Hemant . I am not even go to try to see which one is nearer to the truth because they are so close , and only differ by one note ( if I remember correctly ) . And anyway the song is full of vivadis .
Notably he makes an excursion into Basant Bahar which gives the song a really sophisticated feel .

Speaking about the concordance of the ragas with the lyrics , it probably has to do with the seasons ( Koaliya , Springtime , Basant etc ... ) .
सहस्रनाम ततुलयम राम नाम वरानने |
Sahasranāma tat tulyam Rāma nāma Varānane .

jaan e kharabat

Re: Thumris

Postby jaan e kharabat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:42 am

Strictly speaking, yaad e piya ki aaye, is more aligned with the Dadra form than thumri (bol banao style) and is in raga (mishra?) Kaushikdhwani (Bhinna Sadja) as sung by BGAK.
If there are just ''six tones'' in an octave [sic] then why have frets for tones that don't exist?

Christianamr

Postby Christianamr » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:10 am

Thanks for the info .
I don´t know much about the musical style " Dadra " , which is distinct from the taal of the same name . I might have heard some few examples some time ago , but I don´t remember its characteristics .
I should check out my youtube-favourites , because I think I have included one or two items from that style , but the artists escape me at the moment ...

One day I sould probably check out more Dadra songs and see what separates them from the Thumri style , but at the moment this sophisticated differentiation is very futuristic for me .
सहस्रनाम ततुलयम राम नाम वरानने |
Sahasranāma tat tulyam Rāma nāma Varānane .

jaan e kharabat

Postby jaan e kharabat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:18 am

First obvious point of difference is the tempo. Thumri are in vilambit and Dadras are in madhyalay or languid drut lays. There might be some textual distinctions as well, as there exists in forms such as Chaiti and Sawan, but I'm not sure about this.

Here's a Dadra in keherwa taal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JO62DJ1 ... re=related
If there are just ''six tones'' in an octave [sic] then why have frets for tones that don't exist?

jaan e kharabat

Postby jaan e kharabat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:49 am

pbercker

Postby pbercker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:52 pm

jaan e kharabat wrote:First obvious point of difference is the tempo. Thumri are in vilambit and Dadras are in madhyalay or languid drut lays. There might be some textual distinctions as well, as there exists in forms such as Chaiti and Sawan, but I'm not sure about this.

Here's a Dadra in keherwa taal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JO62DJ1 ... re=related

I was about to say that while I do appreciate classical vocal (khyal and dhrupad), I find it much harder to get into thumris, dadras, and the like but I see you've made the same point I was about to make a few years back! If I may quote you (from 2008!)

When it comes to thumris, ghazals, bhajans, the lyrics are very important, they are really the centrepieces of the compositions. To not know the meaning of the verses there is to miss a lot of the point in the idiom. This is probably why I don't enjoy thumris as much as khyal or dhrupad. In the latter genres as they are practiced today the lyrics take supportive role in the proceedings, almost mere pegs to hang a melody on, and or by clever manipulation of which, to showcase artistry through devices such bol baant, bol taan etc.

I've attended classical vocal concerts in the past and was generally able to share in the often demonstrative appreciation of the singing from the mostly Indian audience, but the final piece at the end of many concerts were semi-classical styles like thumris and the like, and was always a bit baffled by the knowing and visible appreciation of the audience in places where vocally nothing much had occurred to my ears. It was clear that it was the meaning of the lyrics that they were reacting to. I sometimes felt like an uninvited guest during those moments, and felt a bit left out!

Pascal

Pascal
My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.

ami_aparajita

Postby ami_aparajita » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:25 am

Thumri,the toughest art form being excelled after khayal ,its literal meaning diamentions well explained by my above fellow followers of hindustani classical music. Just wanted add some thoughts.
Myself being a vocalist and learning this miraculous art form feel that its very hard to express the exact feelings mentioned in the bodyline of the thumri as we are sometimes unable to express our feelings regarding day to day life but w
when the same is being expressed correctly and with an open heart its THUMRI in its real sence and its LIFE in its real sence.
Thumri is such and art form in which we can relate ourselves very easily.what is in life its in thumri .
I listened SMT.GIRIJA DEVI,PT.AJOY CHAKRABORTY,UT.BARKAT ALI KHAN.UT BADE GHULAM ALI KHAN SAHEB.SIDHHESHWARI DEVI,RASSOLAN BAI
ETC ETC....felt one thing in common in all of them that they are relating their life with music which is actually required while singing thumri quote unquote.
I wish and hope to listen more such thumri 's from more upcoming artists who are actually working with the hidden fact which will make this art form a massive hit.
The punjab ang and the purab ang gayaki has to be preserved .the same needs a real protector who will establish the gayaki and will make it an unbeatable gayaki ever.
Myself trying to save this beautifully surrounded majesty in itself as I am a devotee of MUSIC.
WILL SHORTLY SHARE SOME HEART TOUCHING AUDIOS AND VIDEOS BY WHICH ONE CAN FEEL AND CATCH THE REAL NERVE OF THE MENTIONED ART FORM.
APARAJITA :)

ظؤیہ ہیآت

Postby ظؤیہ ہیآت » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:07 pm

Christianamr wrote:I really was looking for Bhajans , but stumbled upon this Thumri because the search results get mixed up .
I like thumris ( though it´s not my favourite style ) , but somehow or other I don´t listen to them often ; but then after hearing this one by Ajoy Chakraborty I was really perplexed ... It had to be posted .

I checked out if there exists a separate topic for Thumris , and seeing the lack of it I created this one .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRoIEVTtkvQ

" Yaad Piya Ki Aaye "

composed by Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan

According to different sources it is in Bhinna Shadja or Hemant . I am not even go to try to see which one is nearer to the truth because they are so close , and only differ by one note ( if I remember correctly ) . And anyway the song is full of vivadis .
Notably he makes an excursion into Basant Bahar which gives the song a really sophisticated feel .

Speaking about the concordance of the ragas with the lyrics , it probably has to do with the seasons ( Koaliya , Springtime , Basant etc ... ) .

Hello Christianamr,

'Yaadh Peeya Kee Aayay' is a Dhaadhra in the Raag Kaushik Dhvannee/Kaushik Dhwani...

I am sharing below Links of this same Dhaadhra sung by various Singers and in the same Raag saliently:

Shaubha Gurthoo Ji's version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWZXjkJhKeM ...
Sajjaadh Allee's version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZEakCzitng ...
Maumeetha Mithara's version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCfQcQOeGIU ...
Vadaalee Brothers' version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo3kvUoSY-U ...

And there are so many other numerous Singers' version that can be heard through here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ya+ki+aaye ...

(Bear in mind-i spell the Raag Names or South Asian words in English in the way they are pronounced in South Asia)...
www.facebook.com/FaridaKhanumOfficial ...

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSIONS / UPCOMING PROGRAMS”