Sticky Sarod Pegs

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance that do not belong elsewhere. It is also for the announcement of workshops, lectures, and performances.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

kanwal

Sticky Sarod Pegs

Postby kanwal » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:52 am

Would like to know what others are finding regarding their sarod pegs. Almost all sarods that I have seen have their pegs shaped by hand and eye...like a pencil. The result is a peg that has ridges that grab on to the sides of the peg hole and not the entire surface area. The use of chalk supposedly allows for greater friction but also causes the pegs to stick and not turn easily while tuning. To compound the problem, the pegs want to stick only in certain positions and not others so you have to press them into the hole as you tune.

Last edited by kanwal on Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

coyootie

Re: Sticky Sarod Pegs

Postby coyootie » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:35 pm

fitting pegs has probably been described elsewhere but I'll tell you again:
The peg should fit well at the larger diameter and barely touch in the smaller hole on the headstock.Most Indian made instruments have badly fitted pegs, so it is worthwhile redoing them so they function well and stay in tune.I've worked on Kanai lal, Hiren Roy, Rikhi Ram and many others, and almost all had peg fitting issues!
If you are not pretty skilled with your hands you should take your sarod to a good violin repair person, they can probably take care of it.
To fit a peg look at the shiny places on the shaft. It should be visibly shinier at the large diameter of the shaft. Using a medium/ fine file, take off a bit on the SHINY areas,replace in the hole,turn it until you see an even shine all around with any additional needed filing and sandpapering. If the hole in the instrument is not round ( also very likely) you need to re-shape it with a special instrument reaming tool. sometimes you can get away with wrapping some medium sandpaper around a properly round peg and turning it in the hole until it's truly round.
basically you will be better off to take it to an experienced instrument repair person.I have fitted hundreds of pegs over the years and it makes a HUGE difference in the playability and functionality of any instrument with friction pegs. it's not rocket science but has to be done correctly.

profpandit

Postby profpandit » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:48 am

kanwal wrote:Would like to know what others are finding regarding their sarod pegs. Almost all sarods that I have seen have their pegs shaped by hand and eye...like a pencil. The result is a peg that has ridges that grab on to the sides of the peg hole and not the entire surface area. The use of chalk supposedly allows for greater friction but also causes the pegs to stick and not turn easily while tuning. To compound the problem, the pegs want to stick only in certain positions and not others so you have to press them into the hole as you tune.

I have faced the same problem with tuning tanpuras.
It's a wood to wood interference fit and the parts are not machined.
I think you learn to live with it and over time you'll get used to it.

coyootie

Postby coyootie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:02 pm

no reason to "learn to live with it". Get them fitted properly and they will do the job just fine.

profpandit

Postby profpandit » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Learning to live with is too strong a phrase.
In my case, when I put new strings into the tanpura,
the pegs misbehaved a little because a lot of the string winds around the base of the peg, near its handle
if you dont get a tight formation there, when you rotate,
there is too much tension on the peg because the turns of the string are spread out
that causes it to slip
But after some initial adjustment, that problem goes away.
Over time, you learn to wind the strings in a tight formation so the situation doesn't arise at all.
It's a learning process

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSIONS / UPCOMING PROGRAMS”