Indian systems and tuning

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance that do not belong elsewhere. It is also for the announcement of workshops, lectures, and performances.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

cristi13

Indian systems and tuning

Postby cristi13 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for a reliable source of information regarding hindustani ragas. I'm finding mostly associations with western notes and staff notation which is useless, as i intend to play on a fretless instrument in just intonation.

The best thing i could find is http://www.plainsound.org/pdfs/srutis.pdf which gives multiple variants for a single note. I still don't know which intervals to choose when trying to play a particular raga since there is quite a difference between them.

So, how should i go about it?

David Russell Watson

Re: Indian systems and tuning

Postby David Russell Watson » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:29 am

cristi13 wrote:Hi,
I'm looking for a reliable source of information regarding hindustani ragas.

In terms of intonation, there unfortunately really is no such thing as yet.

For one thing, different gharana (stylistic schools) have each their own interpretation of any given rag, including different ideas about its proper intonation.

For another, even within one rag, intonation of a scalar degree may vary from one moment to another depending upon various complex criteria.

cristi13 wrote:I'm finding mostly associations with western notes and staff notation which is useless, as i intend to play on a fretless instrument in just intonation.

Well it's not actually useless, it's just incomplete without an understanding of the proper intonation for the rag notated. Even Indian notation is skeletal and indicates mostly only scalar degree and time values, the nuances of intonation never being indicated but just assumed.

cristi13 wrote:The best thing i could find is http://www.plainsound.org/pdfs/srutis.pdf which gives multiple variants for a single note. I still don't know which intervals to choose when trying to play a particular raga since there is quite a difference between them.

Sambamurthy's Pythagorean system described at plainsound.org is an elegant theoretician's delight, but doesn't likely entirely correspond to reality. Moreover it's supposed to describe Carnatic music, not Hindustani.

In actual practice, correct intonation is acquired through listening to and copying phrases from a rag repeatedly over a long period of time, normally with a teacher's supervision and correction.

cristi13 wrote:So, how should i go about it?

If you don't yet have a teacher, you could start by listening to and copying phrases from recordings of your favorite performance of whichever rag you wish to learn.

Try to find out the gharana of each performer you're studying, so as not to be confused by those differences in intepretation I mentioned. Most people would probably advise you to stick entirely to one gharana or another at first.

David

dhatitdha

Re: Indian systems and tuning

Postby dhatitdha » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:56 am

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSIONS / UPCOMING PROGRAMS”