Thoughts on Todi

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance that do not belong elsewhere. It is also for the announcement of workshops, lectures, and performances.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

CheesecakeTomek

Thoughts on Todi

Post by CheesecakeTomek » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi all,

Trying to wrap my head around Todi these days.
Basic thing I am trying to figure out is the different between "Todi" and "Miyan ki Todi". In fact, it seems like in many cases they are synonymous. I am wondering if anyone can clarify/elaborate this for me?

The one resource that I have which suggests otherwise is the Khan/Ruckert textbook, which refers to Todi as Darbari Todi, taking ga as vadi; which differs from Miyan ki Todi with dha vadi.

My studies are in the Maihar style, so I am particularly interested if anyone can comment to the above. That being said, all guidance through text and listening is welcome.

Thanks,
Tomek

musicslug

Re: Thoughts on Todi

Post by musicslug » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:19 am

from 'the Raga Guide': 'Miyan Ki Todi is presently the most important raga of the Todi family and therefore often simply referred to as Todi, or sometimes Shuddh Todi'.

CheesecakeTomek

Re: Thoughts on Todi

Post by CheesecakeTomek » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:43 am

Got it, thanks!
Meanwhile I have had a chance to inquire with a friend more knowledgeable than I and he echoed that statement.