Rare Harmonium

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance that do not belong elsewhere. It is also for the announcement of workshops, lectures, and performances.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

joshuamusih27

Rare Harmonium

Postby joshuamusih27 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:24 am

I'm looking for an old style harmonium. It is a portable, collapsable front pump harmonium like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gltUJsVZgGM

Lars

Re: Rare Harmonium

Postby Lars » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:32 am

Try a DMS 24A or a Bina 23b which comes in regular style or deluxe with extended keyboard. I carry them as do others.....

Lars
http://www.raincitymusic.com

joshuamusih27

Postby joshuamusih27 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:05 pm

Lars wrote:Try a DMS 24A or a Bina 23b which comes in regular style or deluxe with extended keyboard. I carry them as do others.....

Lars

I'm looking for the exact design as the one in the video. Its the same body as a portable side pump harmonium but instead has a front pump. I saw your website and you have front pumps that are combined with the lid...i don't want those. I wanted to know if anyone had any information.

joshuamusih27

Postby joshuamusih27 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:08 pm

Lars

Postby Lars » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:22 am

joshuamusih27 wrote:
Lars wrote:Try a DMS 24A or a Bina 23b which comes in regular style or deluxe with extended keyboard. I carry them as do others.....

Lars

I'm looking for the exact design as the one in the video. Its the same body as a portable side pump harmonium but instead has a front pump. I saw your website and you have front pumps that are combined with the lid...i don't want those. I wanted to know if anyone had any information.

Gotcha, I missed that actually. I can have one made for you, most of the more formal collapsible harmoniums have side-fold bellows but to change it wouldn't be difficult.

Lars
http://www.raincitymusic.com

Djinn Fizz

Postby Djinn Fizz » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:01 am

joshuamusih27 wrote:

Lars

There's nothing "rare" about this harmonium. It's a typical Delhi style suitcase harmonium. Whether it opens at the top or the side is totally immaterial. Neither style is "better". What gives the harmonium in the video it's distinct sound is the fact that there are two players paying exactly identical lines in tandem (and the reverb helps) . Been playing and repairing harmoniums for decades. This is not a "special" harmonium in any sense of the word. Quite ordinary really.

joshuamusih27

Postby joshuamusih27 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:38 am

Djinn Fizz wrote:
joshuamusih27 wrote:

There's nothing "rare" about this harmonium. It's a typical Delhi style suitcase harmonium. Whether it opens at the top or the side is totally immaterial. Neither style is "better". What gives the harmonium in the video it's distinct sound is the fact that there are two players paying exactly identical lines in tandem (and the reverb helps) . Been playing and repairing harmoniums for decades. This is not a "special" harmonium in any sense of the word. Quite ordinary really.

I know the sound isn't special i am referring to the fact it opens at the top. Its something i've never seen before and would like to purchase if anyone has any leads.

Djinn Fizz

Postby Djinn Fizz » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:48 pm

The Tilak 23 opens at the top like that. Keshav Music Imports often has them.
The one in the video - are likely from some small no-name company in Punjab
that is unlikely to have it's own website. Note: the general belief is that top opening bellows are more often seen on lesser harmoniums but that's not really true anymore. Lots of well known singers employ harmoniums from top makers that use top opening bellows. It's a matter of personal preference.

joshuamusih27

Postby joshuamusih27 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:28 am

It looks like the harmonium in the picture has a bharat music house sticker on it which is very well received as a brand. The 23 harmonium you mentioned has the bellows integrated with the lid which is not the same as the one in the video.

Djinn Fizz

Postby Djinn Fizz » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:07 pm

joshuamusih27 wrote:It looks like the harmonium in the picture has a bharat music house sticker on it which is very well received as a brand. The 23 harmonium you mentioned has the bellows integrated with the lid which is not the same as the one in the video.

Yes you are correct about Bharat Music. Even really bad makers - will go out of their way to produce a good quality instrument if
they know it will be played by a prominent musician or one who is known to play regularly to big crowds at a gurudwara or temple.
I was just talking to Ray Spiegel who has studied with Zakirji for decades and he told me that even Ustadji has to go down to Haridas
Vhatkar's work space and supervise or they don't do a good job!

Whether the bellows is attached to the body or to the flip-down lid is immaterial. As long as the lid is properly fitted at the seal, there
is no appreciable difference. These are strictly superficial distinctions that have no effect on the playability of the instrument.

Greg

Postby Greg » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:03 pm

Does anyone know anything of Dwarkin Harmoniums...I can't find out much about them....?

http://www.youtube.com/user/oGJWo
http://www.youtube.com/user/RoomwithaViewmusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/ErithDrumClub

Djinn Fizz

Postby Djinn Fizz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Greg wrote:Does anyone know anything of Dwarkin Harmoniums...I can't find out much about them....?

Cheap, cardboard rubbish. Seen and played a bunch of these. Trashy stuff.

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSIONS / UPCOMING PROGRAMS”