Pitch drifting sharper in electronic sruti boxes

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance that do not belong elsewhere. It is also for the announcement of workshops, lectures, and performances.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

ragarecords

Pitch drifting sharper in electronic sruti boxes

Postby ragarecords » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:46 pm

I had a electronic tanpura made in the 1980s, I forget the brand, it was a smallish (6 inches) ivory-colored metal box. I found the pitch drifted slowly sharper, by maybe 10 cents over half an hour. I recently bought a current model (Radel brand). I thought the old one must be an electronics warming up issue, and a modern one with sampled sounds would be immune. But it has the same problem.I wonder what's going on?

Workaround is to either keep an eye on it or just use the app (iShala on android) which is rock steady.
John Wilton
Raga Records
www.raga.com

DrKashyap

Re: Pitch drifting sharper in electronic sruti boxes

Postby DrKashyap » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:44 am

In such gadgets, it is the power supply that plays important role - they have to have a "regulated" power supply to minimise the shift of pitch - see if that happens with dry cells too. However some shift of pitch is inevitable in electronic boxes. Thats why such gadgets are started quite in advance to get rid of initial pitch fluctuations.

Bhairava

Postby Bhairava » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:08 pm

The only digital device that sounds good and has constant pitch is the iTabla Pro app in the apple store.

You can run it on most any ipod,iphone or ipad and then hook it up to a speaker.

Its by far the highest quality sound out side of a properly set up and tuned tanpura

StVitus

Postby StVitus » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:21 pm

If your tanpura is from the 80s it probably has an analog circuit, and all analog synthesizers suffer tuning drift. Digital tanpuras shouldn’t have that problem.

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSIONS / UPCOMING PROGRAMS”