Bharatanatyam project help

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

csswenso

Bharatanatyam project help

Post by csswenso » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:30 am

Hello everyone, I am doing a project for school focusing on Bharatanatyam and I was wondering if anyone could help me out by answering a few questions. This project is for an anthropology course I am taking. The focus is on family involvement and roles with this type of dance when it comes to learning and performing. I wonder if anyone would be able to help me out with some input about this, whether there are certain roles certain people play in general, or possibly if anyone is willing to share some of their experiences. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Cami

trippy monkey

Re: Bharatanatyam project help

Post by trippy monkey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:10 pm

A little bit late with this one but....

I 'did' Bharatanatyam in the 90s for 6 & a half years in the UK, privately. My teacher, Sheila Cove/Shakuntala, was trained in the early 70s by Smt Balasundari who was a classmate of the world famous Dhananjayans of Chennai school Bharatakalanjali at Kalakshetra.
I'm not of Indian origin, BTW.

To answer a question, I've never known a person 'only' do a certain type of role exclusively as we're supposed to do ALL roles. Some may & have a family connection to this much as Kuchipudi & Kathakali seem to but I've seen most dancers do all kinds of characters as BN used to be a solo dance form in the temples of south India.

Hope I've been a bit of help. Feel free to ask any more questions.
I stopped because my teacher moved away from the north west of England to the south west.

Nick

rahult

Post by rahult » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi:

I am currently developing a website on Indian dance - hopefully I should be able to help you.

http://128.196.27.236:8080/Nachbaliye/jsp/home.jsp

Copy paste link into the browser

MaxLester

Post by MaxLester » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:46 am

Doing project in this field is really a great one. It is not an easy job, please watch and study the previous similar projects and their working style, If you need a better project guidelines from online please choose a best thesis writing service provider, you get an expert person.