Ocean of Ragas

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance that do not belong elsewhere

Moderators: povster, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat, s1owpoke

Ocean of Ragas

Postby ragamala » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:11 pm

Interesting site or what! Fun for all the family! Not to mention instructive. Over 1200 ragas..... 500 sound samples....

http://oceanofragas.com

Thanks to Dr Kashyap for bringing this to my attention.
ragamala

Re: Ocean of Ragas

Postby coughcapkittykat » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:05 pm

Very nice site. I like the welcome screen that tells you which raga you can listen to for the time of day you logged in at.

Jeeez, I've been looking for a second raga to start learning, I had settled on Bhimpalasi but now I have 1198 other choices.

It's almost too much!
coughcapkittykat

Postby jaan e kharabat » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:21 am

A brilliant site. Only quibble, but it's a major one, is that he hasn't uploaded the full performances for the audio files, only snippets. We need to hit him up for the whole shebang as some of them are magnificent rare items.
If there are just ''six tones'' in an octave [sic] then why have frets for tones that don't exist?
jaan e kharabat

Postby ragamala » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:27 pm

coughcapkittykat wrote:Very nice site. I like the welcome screen that tells you which raga you can listen to for the time of day you logged in at.

Jeeez, I've been looking for a second raga to start learning, I had settled on Bhimpalasi but now I have 1198 other choices.

It's almost too much!

Don't abandon Bhimpalasi. If in doubt listen to Nikhil's version on Raga Records 211. Sublime.
ragamala

Postby coughcapkittykat » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:52 pm

ragamala wrote:Don't abandon Bhimpalasi. If in doubt listen to Nikhil's version on Raga Records 211. Sublime.

That's the sole reason I suddenly wanted to learn it! But now I have heard an equally good sindhi bhairavi by him and a Kirwani by Mohammed Shareef Khan Poonchhwala which are both having the same effect on me. Just too much to learn :lol:
coughcapkittykat

Postby ragamala » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:16 am

Sorry CCK I should have remembered your post in the other thread.

BTW I just found this in my archives (where it originally came from I don't remember)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ea82o7ony3jrn6d

a short(ish) discussion of NB's Bhimpalasi

And here's another masterly version

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzojktutymk
ragamala

Postby coughcapkittykat » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:06 pm

Wow, that break down of his performance is excellent, it's given me an even deeper love for that recording. Just incredible, I didn't realise it was quite that complicated. What a clever guy he was.

And the other recording is amazing as well, thank you for that, it really is among the best versions of the raga that I've heard. Many thanks Ragamala!
coughcapkittykat

Postby ragamala » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:40 am

My pleasure.

Good news re Mushtaq Ali Khan, I have heard that Questz World have plans for publishing -
in the next couple of days a CD and a CD/DVD set including a documentary and accompanying booklet.

To be followed later by another couple of CDs.
ragamala

Postby nicneufeld » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:18 pm

This is particularly useful:
http://oceanofragas.com/RagaswarSearch.aspx

Occasionally I play around with interesting note combinations which this lets you search for an extant raga...
nicneufeld

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSIONS