Testing...

Discussion of these forms, requests for forums, announcements about these forums

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Christianamr

Testing...

Postby Christianamr » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:58 am

Something is messed up with my ability or allowance of posting youtube-links ....
In the past I could post youtube-links without hindrance , now I get a spam message . :?:
Yet I see other members posting youtube-links without difficulty . ... :?

I already tried two links , but none of them is allowed .

Therefore I created this Test-topic for trying out what I am allowed to link to or not ....

This is the exact wording of the discouraging message :
" Your post has been classified as SPAM by Akismet. You will not be able to post that message here. " :|
Last edited by Christianamr on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
सहस्रनाम ततुलयम राम नाम वरानने |
Sahasranāma tat tulyam Rāma nāma Varānane .

david
Site Admin

Re: Testing...

Postby david » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Dear Christianamr

I looked over your profile very carefully and I found it very interesting. If you had registered today, I would have deactivated your account without a second look. Inadvertently you developed a style which is exactly like a spammer. Perhaps it is more correct to say that spammers emulate the profiles of users like yourself.

All activity in this site is filtered through Akismet to filter out spam. This is an automated service and is very good, but it is not as smart as a human being

Let me give you some tips so that you can avoid the problem in the future.

1) Avoid placing links in your signature! This is the most common technique of a spammer.

2) Avoid placing links in your user profile. This is also a common spammers technique

3) Avoid putting too much information in your personal profile.

4) Avoid internet cafes, and other public internet access business.

Now any one of these alone will not hurt most people. But when multiple qualities are present, it brings you closer to triggering the anti spam mechanisms.

good luck.

David Courtney

Christianamr

Postby Christianamr » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Thank you David for the explanation and for your kindness regarding my profile .

In fact , it has helped me to fix the problem ; since now I am again allowed to post links .

However , it was a longer process ; because I started by eliminating some of the points outlined by you one by one . In fact after I eliminated one item , I checked if I was already allowed to post links , but nothing seemed to happen until I erased all my infos : website in signature , website in profile , bio , interests and finally location ...
But even after that I was not allowed to post links ; but then I waited 2 hours , and thereafter it worked well again .

Now I am not sure how to view this situation : Maybe it was not necessary to erase all my items since the Akismet-device only needed some time to become convinved of my benevolence ...
Maybe I could try to bring back some of my infos , but not as exhaustive as before ?
I´ll try and then the result will be observed .
Because , frankly I liked my old profile ....

Thanks for taking time ,
Christian .

david
Site Admin

Postby david » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:55 pm

I believe the delay was simply a question of the time that it took for Akismet to process things. I am actually surprised that it updated things this fast.

Since you know some of the things that it is looking for, you can experiment to see how much of the old material you can re-introduce.

Your profile was so much like a spammer, that there were only two things that told me you were not. Your posts showed a depth of knowledge that that no casual human spammer would have, and a lucidity that no robot would have. One certainly could not expect Akismet to catch on to this.

On a related topic, you may wish to reconsider the inclusion of links in your signature and profile. This might be beneficial for human beings, but you will probably find that it will slightly penalize you in search engines. A few years ago any link was considered a good thing, but today there is a difference between good links and bad links. Links in forums are today considered to be somewhat questionable.

Unfortunately many "black hat" SEOs will not tell you this. After all, they are just trying to sell their service, and they are quite happy to sell you a service which only produces a temporary advantage.

Peace

David Courtney

Christianamr

Postby Christianamr » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks for your advice , David .

The web seems to have become a tricky place ...

I will be cautious in my endeavours .

Peace ,
Christian .

Return to “THESE FORUMS”