folk section?

Discussion of these forms, requests for forums, announcements about these forums

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

folkdrum

folk section?

Postby folkdrum » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:17 am

Hello,
Where is the Indian folk subforum?

David Russell Watson

Re: folk section?

Postby David Russell Watson » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:08 am

There is none :·)

Not all Indian-music forums have subforums for folk music, I suppose :·D

I don't think endlessly subdividing the forum for every new separate interest group is the best idea either. I know that people often request that in hopes it will generate more conversation on their topic of interest, but when their topic doesn't have a large following in the first place, the result is often just the opposite: the subforum remains mostly dead. On the other hand if discussions of the topic in question are placed on a more active forum, a forum with a broader range of designated topics, then they tend to get seen by more people and thus get more participation.

Maybe the tabla forum should indeed be redesignated something like "Indian Percussion", which would then be the proper place for discussion of Indian folk drumming, but I don't think separate forums should be created for the sake of genres. The sitar and surbahar forum gets all discussion of those instruments regardless of the genre of music played on them, and the consistent thing would be to follow the same principle with all of the forums.

I know that a separate Carnatic forum does exist, in other words a separate forum has been provided on the basis of genre, but then that forum isn't very active, and I wonder if there wouldn't be much more discussion of the Carnatic vina if it were on an "Indian Chordophone" or "Indian Strings" forum alongside the more popular discussion of sitars, or if Carnatic vocal wouldn't benefit from being lumped together with Hindusthani vocal on the Classical & Traditional Vocal forum, to give but two examples.

David
Last edited by David Russell Watson on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Russell Watson

Postby David Russell Watson » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:22 am

Another point that I forgot to mention is that having too many overly specialized forums also creates confusion about where to post threads with more general-interest topics. For example, where does a thread on javari belong? (No pun intended :lol: ) If a sitarist starts a javari thread, it tends to end up on the Sitar & Surbahar forum, but isn't that topic just as relevant to players of tamburas, sarods (for their side strings), bins, and vinas?

Javari is of interest to anybody interested in Indian chordophones, but not so much to vocalists or percussionists, and so division on the basis of categories like those would probably prove the most practical.

David

folkdrum

Postby folkdrum » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:01 am

I concure with you, David. Glad response.

Return to “THESE FORUMS”