403 Forbidden!

Discussion of these forms, requests for forums, announcements about these forums

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

david
Site Admin

403 Forbidden!

Post by david » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:00 am

I have received messages from two people saying that they have received "403 forbidden" messages. I have no explanation as to this.

But if you have received a similar error message I would appreciate it if you could email me at david@chandrakantha.com. Kindly give information as to where you are and what operating system you are using.

Peace

David Courtney

Lars

Re: 403 Forbidden!

Post by Lars » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:58 am

I got the same message, a host gator page only. Am in India, working fine now....

Lars
http://www.raincitymusic.com

david
Site Admin

Post by david » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:47 am

Here is the story of what happened. Some Russian spambots were harvesting information from the forums, but they were overwhelming the servers because there were so many of them. The hosting service was forced to take the forums offline until measures could be taken to improve security and lighten the servers load. Functionally it was the same as a D.O.S. attack, but as far as we can tell, bringing down the server was not the object.

At any rate, a number of steps were taken, some of which involve changes in the DNS server. It generally takes a couple of days for these changes to trickle down through the rest of the Internet. For this as well as other reasons, there are likely to be a few rough edges. Therefore if anybody has any problems, either leave a post here, PM me, or drop me some email. (david@chandrakantha.com)

Peace

David Courtney

david
Site Admin

Post by david » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Here is some more information that has come in. The cause of the DOS attack was from a spidering company known as 80legs. It is based here in the US.

They pretend to be a "white hat" operation but they have a very bad reputation for the way they do things. My initial impression is that they will either drop the pretense of being White Hat and move to some other country (Nigeria? Russia?) or they will go out of business.

OM GUY

Post by OM GUY » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:14 pm

david wrote:Here is some more information that has come in. The cause of the DOS attack was from a spidering company known as 80legs. It is based here in the US.

They pretend to be a "white hat" operation but they have a very bad reputation for the way they do things. My initial impression is that they will either drop the pretense of being White Hat and move to some other country (Nigeria? Russia?) or they will go out of business.
...that...or Knuckles and Guido might just pay them a visit... :lol:
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!