ICM Newbies question

Discussion of all things not related to Indian music with a special focus on the forum's features, bugs, and performance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

ragamala

ICM Newbies question

Post by ragamala » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:42 pm

If a topic is posted to the ICM Newbies board, what is the justification for moving this elsewhere?

Just asking, as a recent post requesting info about HCM violinists - after a couple of answers to a simple question - got shifted to the general topics.

A question by a newbie is perhaps always covered in theory by other boards, so why move the topic? Is this designed to confuse the newbie?? Especially when the original question is left half answered in the newbies board and posts continue in another? Requires a rethink methinks?

Yours respectfully

david
Site Admin

Re: ICM Newbies question

Post by david » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:17 pm

This is indeed an issue that I have been struggling with. It is confusing to both the posters as well as readers. In this particular case I just felt that both its topic and tone were above the newbie level and that it had a more general concern.

However that is just my opinion; and that is where I feel the weekness of this whole newbie section is. It is too dependent upon opinion.

I am looking for feedback from all of you concerning this matter. There are a number of options. A few which come to mind are:

1) Lock the newbie board - For this I think the appropriate thing would be to open it up for a brief period to allow many of the advanced participants make informative posts about particular subjects of interest to the newbie. I would then select and edit the posts in such a way as to create a resource, and then lock the board.

2) Delete the newbie board entire.

3) Restrict the scope of the newbie board to some extremely unambiguous focus, (e.g., introductions)

I strongly believe that some action is necessary because in its present form the newbie section is just not quite working. Everyone's input is greatly appreciated.

Peace

David Courtney

ragamala

Re: ICM Newbies question

Post by ragamala » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:29 pm

david wrote:This is indeed an issue that I have been struggling with.
Peace

David Courtney
Dear David

Thanks for that thoughtful reply, I am sorry if I seemed a pest on this.

Since I posted that message I have been pondering the issues more and found it more complex than I originally thought...

The main problem seems to me, agreeing with you, that a newbie question can be soon turned into a normal forum exchange between non-newbie members. Who go beyond a simple answer to a simple question. It is difficult to see how this can be restrained, unless you had an "expert panel" to answer newbie questions, and this would be not only undemocratic but possibly biased and restrictive.

I have come to no conclusion on how I would deal with that in your situation.

What I do think is that it would be patronising to think because someone is a newbie they are not capable of sorting for themselves the appropriate from the overcomplicated answers extending into debate.

Not every new entrant to the forum would want to post a general self-introduction, and some of us established posters are newbies when it comes to some aspects of ICM, and would like to ask very basic questions from time to time of other forum members with relevant knowledge....

I think on balance I would maybe go for an introduction board, and perhaps a welcome message to new registrations that stressed not to be afraid to ask a simple question in the normal forums.

best regards
Alan