Contraction of forums

Discussion of all things not related to Indian music with a special focus on the forum's features, bugs, and performance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

david
Site Admin

Contraction of forums

Post by david » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:10 pm

One will notice that the "buying and selling", "Sitar recordings and books", "Stage and recording" and "workshops and classes" sections have been deleted and their contents moved into other forums.

Although these were ideas worth pursuing, it just made things difficult when trying to decide where to post things.

I hope that the present arrangement is much more intuitive.

Peace

David Courtney

povster
Site Admin

Re: Contraction of forums

Post by povster » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:04 pm

Thanks for staying on top of things as always, David.

I DO regret the Buying and Selling forum vanishing, because the forums are something of a mess now with all of these laying in the other parent forums.

Perhaps it should be (or have been) renamed Classified Ads and be striclty for people either buying or selling musical instruments, CDs and related items.

There were two main issues with Buying and Selling as it stood:

1) People feeling that "their" selling was somehow more special so it should be announced in other forums as well. I know this was a contributor to the mess and was pretty disrespectful overall.

2) The moderator's insistence on sending most posts that had the word "buy" or "sell" in it to the Buy/Sell forum regardless of content. I remember my own Surbahar post. I was considering buying a surbahar that had a few technical issues to deal with. I was just seeking technical advice on how to deal with the issues before I went ahead with the purchase. But it get moved to Buying/Selling and, even after correspondence with you, remained there...a post that was not seeking to buy something or sell something but just to get some technical info.

Removing the Buying/Selling was a good idea as it was too loose an idea. But consider making a Classified Ads section instead. Very simply too: If you have something for sale post it there. If you want to buy something post it there. Period. That's it. And any posts that are for buying or selling that are posted elsewhere should just be deleted, not moved. That would help eliminate those "but this is so special I had to post it here in XYZ Forum" ads.

Thanks David!
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

david
Site Admin

Post by david » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:16 am

As usual your thoughts on the subject are greatly appreciated. I will consider this.

Peace

David Courtney

bhavan

Post by bhavan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:23 am

I am missing the "buying & selling" section too !!!
:cry:
Povster´s suggestion is nice and would be a good alternativ.

B.
Last edited by bhavan on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:17 am

david wrote:As usual your thoughts on the subject are greatly appreciated. I will consider this.

Peace

David Courtney
Thanks very much David. In truth the idea of a Classified Ads section could be pretty easy to enforce. You got something to sell place it there. You want to buy something place it there. So it should be strictly want to sell or want to buy. This includes posts advertising places that sell instruments.

But if someone posts in Sitar and Surbahar that they are considering buying a sitar but are curious about points regarding quality, etc. - well that is not someone buying or selling an item. It is someone seeking technical information. That deserves to remain in the Sitar or Tabla etc forums, as no one is advertuising to sell or buy.

As always, David, while it may not seem so at times, your efforts really are appreciated.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM