Robots and User validation

Discussion of all things not related to Indian music with a special focus on the forum's features, bugs, and performance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

david
Site Admin

Robots and User validation

Post by david » Sat May 30, 2009 1:51 pm

Dear Brothers and Sisters

As you all have no doubt been aware, there is a new batch of bots out there which are very sophisticated about gaining access to forums and posting spam. It has reached a point that I am forced to disable user validation (The old system whereby all you needed to do was respond to an email)

From now on all users will have to be validated by me personally.

This will not effect anyone currently registered. It will only add a delay for new users before they can post. This delay may be up to 24 hrs.

I apologize for any inconvenience that new members will experience, but it is necessary to minimize the spam on the board.

Peace

David Courtney

david
Site Admin

Re: Robots and User validation

Post by david » Sat May 30, 2009 2:25 pm

Povster has volunteered to act as a limited moderator. By limited we mean that his only moderating capacity will be the elimination of spam.

Therefore I am going to try and reinstated the user validation feature and rely on the vigilance of all the moderators in keeping all of this spam at bay. If this should fail then I fear that I will have to resort to administrator validation for all new users

My sincere thanks to all of the moderators for their efforts in this.

Peace

David Courtney

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Sat May 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Things are looking OK as far as functionality. Already deleted a new spam! And just to clarify to the forumites reading this- my task here is to keep the boards as spam-free as I can...but not to act as a moderator in discussions.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

cwroyds

Post by cwroyds » Sun May 31, 2009 1:09 am

NICE
Thanks for the effort Povster.
Those spams posts get annoying.

Thanks David.
It all takes effort, but I promise you that it is all worth it.
The forum is such a useful source of information and shared interest.
Especially to Newbies.
We are all very thankful.

david
Site Admin

Post by david » Sun May 31, 2009 1:47 pm

Dear Brothers and Sisters

This is just a little note to let people know how things are going.

I have been deleting about 10 users a day. Although I do not have any statistics, my gut feeling is that there are at least 10 times that number of unsuccessful attempts by bots to get in, but the CAPTCHA (those difficult little "type in the code you read here" routines) are keeping the majority of bots away.

The problem is that bots may be dumb but they are very persistent and fast. An 80 or 90 percent failure rate is no problem for bots because if they can gain access 10-20 percent of the time, that represents real "pay dirt".

But people's "battle against the bots" ebbs and flows. It is probably just a matter of time before technology develops to a degree that we will be able to keep them at bay..... at least until the next great technical advance on the bot's side.

Peace
David Courtney

Aanaddha

Post by Aanaddha » Sun May 31, 2009 3:15 pm

If he could sing, and nature to accompany him, what need would he have for an instrument?