Major Deletions

Discussion of all things not related to Indian music with a special focus on the forum's features, bugs, and performance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

trippy monkey

Re: Major Deletions

Post by trippy monkey » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:13 pm

Sorry David but how does discussing the spiritual side of sympathetic resonance be WAY off topic!!!!???

Nick

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:18 pm

Just a quick reply: this is David's forum, he's been running it very well for many years, and if people don't like it, don't go around sending a bunch of private message SPAM, just go away and find a forum you like. Its that easy. Don't send boo-hoo messages to a bunch of people trying to get them on your side.

Djinn Fizz

Post by Djinn Fizz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:58 pm

It bears mentioning that the forum for many years has been made a living breathing thing with a character and a life of its own that was a distillation of many voices - many of whom were not David. It's only natural that those people feel a sense of ownership as it was them as a group that authored 99% of the content that made this site worth visiting. If the site loses all it's character and reflects only the viewpoint of the man behind the scenes - it loses all it's intrinsic value. When that happens the real lurkers - who visit the site lose interest and fall away. If the site loses all the visitors and all the posts are by the same two or three people who have not been banned - the site loses any real purpose. If I were one of the advertisers who spent money monthly to put my little advertisement on this site - I would have pulled my advert ages ago - because a site that has lost it's best and most interesting personalities - doesn't draw much interest, making the expense of advertising - money down the toilet. These days I don't visit the site much for the same reason I don't watch Fox News. Too much of the same old same old. Too much of the bland leading the blind.

plectum

Post by plectum » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:14 am

It seems, there has been another major deletion in the sarod forum and one person might have been banned. I think none of us, including the moderators/administrator find this fun, so I would like to make some suggestions on how to control these spamming/flaming incidents.

1. A NEW USER HAS TO WAIT FOR ATLEAST 24-48 HOURS BEFORE MAKING HER FIRST POST: Sometimes people make sockpuppet accounts to promote a product, advertise some musician, trash or support someone. A waiting period would cool these people off.
2. NO ONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO MAKE MORE THAN TWO POSTS ON THE SAME THREAD THE SAME DAY: Sometimes A posts a provocative post, B responds to A, A responds to B, B responds to A ..and the loop never ends.
3. MODERATORS SHOULD ASK A POSTER TO JUSTIFY HER OUTRAGEOUS/ PRPVOCATVE POST FAILING WHICH THAT POST WILL BE DELETED: If you say, Ravishankar and Vilayat khan are/were both great artists, that’s politically correct and would not generate a discussion. If you say, PRS’s appeal is cerebral while UVK’s appeal is emotional, that might generate an interesting discussion. And if you say, UVK is the only one and Ravi cannot even play in tune, moderators should accost that poster and ask what justification is there behind this post.

My point is that, some of the more opinionated and aggressive posters are also some of the most informative. It will be a shame to have their accounts deleted. Perhaps we should just try to stop people from making posts based on knee-jerk reactions.

My 2 cents.
You know, music, art - these are not just little decorations to make life prettier. They're very deep necessities which people cannot live without. ~~ Pablo Picasso

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:51 am

plectrum
I totally agree!!
Who is this provocateur LURKER anyway???

Nick

Hamletsghost

Post by Hamletsghost » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:26 am

Evening plectum (and Sir Tripster)

While I also agree with you in principal - ESPECIALLY about spammers - I will play devils advocate & say that some of the most lively, meaningful, cerebral, (some arguably provocotive), and deep discussions have been when 2 - 3 - 4 or more forumites get into a long discussion. YES I totally agree with you that a name calling flame war should not be tollerated but when 2 members have strong differing opinions - even in a forceful way - it can bring with it some very valuable information as long as it is kept civil.
David has said many times he hates to delete post's - hates banning persons even more but sometimes members become hoist by their own petard even when given a LOOONG leash. I can think of a number who were given chance after chance and wouldn't reign in. I have personally been involved with some very heated discussions over the years but have always tried to keep it civil - tried to stay on track and tried always to see the argument thru the other persons perspective. And always tried to end on a positive note with my opposing poster even if we never come to common ground.
Maybe that is the ideal rather than the reality with most hot topics- I don't know.

As far as limiting to 2 posts per thread that is tricky because if you look in the archives you will find some very deep and valuable postings where a number of forumites get into a very long discussion and sometimes - at least in my case - I would loose the forward momentum of one of these if I had to take a 24 hour break - For me again that could turn into 2 or 3 days or even a week because of my strange schedule and commitments - then the thoughts would be totaly gone (gettin old - can't remember what I had for breakfast sometimes) Not to say that ANYTHING I have ever posted is worth more than the cyber paper it's printed on but I'm sure if we look back I think we would find a wealth of great discussions that would have never happend & would have been lost to us FAR outweigh the flames of anarchy that have cropped up from time to time with multiple postings to a thread on the same day.

A social site is a tricky thing - it's somewhat like a debate club with much looser structure - a philosophical society - a religious discussion group with members of multiple faiths, backgrounds, and perspectives (probably the most wonderful and dangerous group of all - where we ALL walk the razors edge to stay friends and not hurt another or to be insensitive to their beliefs) - a political debate with all the fiery rhetoric that entails - a day care center for those wayward children who just can't stop banging their heads against the wall - and finally a zoo full of monkeys (not Trippy ones) that just want to fling excrement at all and sundry.
I applaud most vigorously David and the moderators for keeping the discussion going on and on all these years especially with such and assorted cast of characters as we have here.
All fellow forumites - SALUTE - whether I've agreed with you or not THANKS for some great discussions.

Hamletsghost 8)
PEACE THRU MUSIC
Larry Darrell LIVES!

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:57 am

H
Sorry I missed all that, could you say it again please?!!?!? :lol: :wink:

But seriously, I agree about some posts needing to be carried on & not hours & hours apart. I have no choice sometimes as I have to use the local library's computers & we're limited to max 2 hours weekday & 1 on saturday.

Nick

plectum

Post by plectum » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Hamletsghost wrote:and finally a zoo full of monkeys (not Trippy ones) that just want to fling excrement at all and sundry.
So it is a zoo in here and a jungle out there? What a world we live in :D But seriously, I don't think the 2-post limit would cause any problems with serious discussions, as it will be enforced by the moderators, not by any software. If they find an interesting discussion is going on, they will forgo this limit for that thread. But I was more worried about those awful awful people who write things that make you blush :shock: :shock: :D :D So if they find that the tone of the thread is declining they can shout "1 2 YOU'RE OUT". I am sure the next day the posters will be in much better mood. :)
You know, music, art - these are not just little decorations to make life prettier. They're very deep necessities which people cannot live without. ~~ Pablo Picasso

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:37 pm

plectum wrote:So it is a zoo in here and a jungle out there? What a world we live in :D But seriously, I don't think the 2-post limit would cause any problems with serious discussions, as it will be enforced by the moderators, not by any software. If they find an interesting discussion is going on, they will forgo this limit for that thread. But I was more worried about those awful awful people who write things that make you blush :shock: :shock: :D :D So if they find that the tone of the thread is declining they can shout "1 2 YOU'RE OUT". I am sure the next day the posters will be in much better mood. :)
Plectum - have you ever moderated a message board? People seem to think the mods can do anything (snaps his fingers) "yust like that". They cannot. I am not sure what you mean by "it will be enforced by the moderators, not by any software". It is ALL enforced by software. The mods should not need to constantly be reading the boards and flipping switches on/off for post counts. Depending on their access they usually spend their time updating the software, deleting spam, disabling spammer ids, moving topics to more appropriate areas, issuing a warning or two if appropriate etc. But Mods should not be babysitters.

And if such an unlikely thing were to come to pass, I absolutely guaranantee there would be posts after post from people saying TOPIC XYZ was just getting good and now the 2 post limit is in effect. Why didn't the mods turn the limit off like they did on topc ABC???

People, especially regulars, know full well what is expected of them. Yet they try pushing the envelope, just the way a child pushes to see how far they can defy their parents before something bad happens to the child. And when the parent finally DOES disciplne the child, the child is all wide eyed and sounding innocent. Or they accuse the parent of being mean or overreacting.

Just like sometimes happens here.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

nicneufeld

Post by nicneufeld » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:31 pm

povster wrote:People, especially regulars, know full well what is expected of them.
I admit, I used the third finger of my left hand when I first started, but I've changed! Honestly I have, guv'nor!

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:27 am

nicneufeld wrote:
povster wrote:People, especially regulars, know full well what is expected of them.
I admit, I used the third finger of my left hand when I first started, but I've changed! Honestly I have, guv'nor!
"I've changed! ... Honestly I have..." Suuure! That's what they all say! :lol:
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

OM GUY

Post by OM GUY » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:58 am

It took a bit of time to digest all of this... :wink:

1.) I'm for Keshav coming back.

I think that someone would have to be extremely and blatantly upsetting and foul in order to be banned by management. A warning and a three day vacation may be all that is required for most people to change an attitude, climbing the ladder as it were and banning themselves, in effect. Perhaps management needs to 'circle the wagons' on a case by case basis, before pulling the plug on someone.

I could care less about how many times a person posts per day. I personally learn a great deal while I'm here because folks have been at it much longer who have vast amounts of experience on subjects that you don't find readily on the news-stands or on the net. The current spectrum runs from many simple remarks to very complex issues that separate the pepper from the fly poop. As adults, we ought to be able to discern what is good and useful and discard the rest. Having a limit is ridiculous in my opinion, especially if the person really needs to ask or answer a question.

This forum is much better than many, in that the subjects are serious, for the most part. But that doesn't mean we can't have a bit of humour like we do. There were a few stuffed shirts who knew it all and were not affraid to demean at nearly every newbie here. Big deal. I ignored them and they eventually went away and so be it.

For the most part, we are a world-wide forum, criss-crossing the globe and I think we all get along just fine, as compared to the rest of the world. There is more helping hands on this forum than any other I've ever been on. To start banning people, I think they really have to be at the very bottom of the barrel, attitude-wise.. :wink:
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!