Email links with NO new messages

Discussion of all things not related to Indian music with a special focus on the forum's features, bugs, and performance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

trippy monkey

Email links with NO new messages

Post by trippy monkey » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:11 am

Hi all again.
Now THIS has been going on a while now but....
has anyone else been regularly getting links sent to their emails saying there's a new message & there's nothing new??? In fact the last message was even last year!?!?
Have they been those bloody nuisance spam mails & David has deleted them before I get there as a few have actually been that kind when there's been a 'new' message there!!??

Nick

david
Site Admin

Re: Email links with NO new messages

Post by david » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Dear Bothers and Sisters

It is possible that the accounts are deleted before you get the message. Please keep in mind that moderators and myself are very busy deleting spam. Here are some things to keep in mind.

I am not sure how much spam a day is deleted, but I can tell you that about 75 potential spammers per day do not make it past the automated system. Another 15 per day make it past the automated system so that they are able to register, however due to other anti-spam measures elsewhere on the internet, they are not able to validate. Another 10 users are able to validate.

These 10 spammers a day are the ones that keep us busy. On average, I check for spammers about 8 times a day, so from the hours of 8:00am to midnight Central standard time, the average length of time that a spammer's account is active is about 1 hours. Between the hours of midnight and 8:00pm the average lifespan of a spammer's account jumps to 4 hours. (Sorry but I have to sleep sometimes.)

It is during the lifetime of a spammer's account that things can happen. For various reasons, about 4 spammers do not post or do anything. It is likely that these accounts are intercepted and deleted before anything can happen. About 6 spammers per day are able to plant links to various websites in their profile. The idea is that search engine's robots will register the link before the account is deactivated. You will not see these links unless you make a frequent habit of perusing the members lists.

Of these six spammers, four are able to make a single post, and two are able to post to every section on the forum.

Now occasionally a spammer slips through. So if anybody sees some spam that I missed, kindly drop me a PM so that I can delete it.

That brings us back to the topic of PMs. The board itself has limits as to how many PMs an account can send. But even within this limit, I really do not know how many spam PMs can be sent and received in the short lifespan of the account. Remember that a PM stands for "Private Message" and that is exactly what they are, private. I do not have the ability to read any PM.

These are just some things to keep in mind.

Peace

David Courtney

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks again David.
I think your explanation has sorted it out now.

Nick

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 am

I don't believe it. Another bloody spammer!!!
I'll copy the ad above this new one now WITHOUT the link though.

(You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the topic and found most guys will go along with with your website.) KireSnarsesep is the spammer's name.

In utter disbelief
Nick :lol: