SPAM on this forum

Discussion of these forms, requests for forums, announcements about these forums

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

cabernethy

SPAM on this forum

Postby cabernethy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:18 pm

Hello,

Is there something that I can do locally to reduce the amount of spam messages that I've been seeing recently ?

Don't know if I'm the only one but it's getting to a point where I can't see the wood for the trees !!!!!

david
Site Admin

Re: SPAM on this forum

Postby david » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Where do you live?
We need a good moderator in Europe (this reflects the different time zones)

peace

David Courtney

cabernethy

Postby cabernethy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:45 pm

I Live in London and work from home, most of my day is spent near my PC.

I would be more than happy to help in any way I can David, this is such a great resource, it would be my pleasure.

povster
Site Admin

Postby povster » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:07 am

Carl, welcome to the world of Forum Moderation! Having someone in your time zone is invaluable! Its great you care enough to offer your help!

Hope your practice is going well! (Yes, I know, it can always go better!) :lol:
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

cabernethy

Postby cabernethy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Alrighty Pov !!!!! :)

Practice is still daily and I'm improving (I think) slowly, the Kirwani CD from Lars is superb but I've not stuck to it as much as I should tho it is ram packed with detail that will no doubt take me years to work through.....I'm quite relishing the prospect :lol:

Hope you are well,

Carl

OM GUY

Postby OM GUY » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:46 am

cabernethy wrote:Hello,

Is there something that I can do locally to reduce the amount of spam messages that I've been seeing recently ?

Don't know if I'm the only one but it's getting to a point where I can't see the wood for the trees !!!!!

:x Seems as if it gets worse and worse with each passing day.... :evil:
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

povster
Site Admin

Postby povster » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:06 am

OM GUY wrote:
cabernethy wrote:Hello,

:x Seems as if it gets worse and worse with each passing day.... :evil:

And it gets cleaned up more and more with each passing day. And Carl has been doing amazing work. His presence in the UK time zone is invaluable!
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

cabernethy

Postby cabernethy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:55 am

Thank You Pov, Moderators Vs Spammers - We will beat the bots !!!!!!

ragamala

Postby ragamala » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:03 pm

cabernethy wrote:Thank You Pov, Moderators Vs Spammers - We will beat the bots !!!!!!

Hope you beat the bullshitters and the verging on unacceptable posts too? I had better take care!

best wishes
Alan

OM GUY

Postby OM GUY » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:44 pm

:x Seems as if it gets worse and worse with each passing day.... :evil: [/quote]

And it gets cleaned up more and more with each passing day. And Carl has been doing amazing work. His presence in the UK time zone is invaluable![/quote]
Indeed it does, however my intent was to point out the moronic idiots who actually post the crap that they do. expecting that someone actually buys any of what they are selling...

My hat's off indeed to those who must sweep up the garbage and the trash! :)
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

coughcapkittykat

Postby coughcapkittykat » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:31 am

OM GUY wrote:Indeed it does, however my intent was to point out the moronic idiots who actually post the crap that they do. expecting that someone actually buys any of what they are selling...

I think a lot of them don't even need to sell anything, just ad clicks alone can generate a fair bit of income when you can set up bots to spam posts all over the web. Page visits can also probably be monetized as well, not to mention viruses that do all sorts of things like key logging.

david
Site Admin

Postby david » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:21 am

It is not about, buying stuff, nor is it about selling stuff. It is about black hat search engine optimization. There is an explosion of SEO companies out there who are using less than scrupulous means of boosting their client's Google position. By placing a gazillion links in forums and blogs around the internet, they are able to obtain temporary boosts in their clients' positions. Unfortunately, it is the clients that are the big losers, because invariably after receiving a few months of a boost, the search engines then come by and penalize them. Often they are never able to fully regain any type of internet credibility after being penalized. That is one reason why this approach is so attractive to fly - by - night operations, because since they are not in it for the long haul, they do not care that they will wind up with long term net penalties.

Although the moderators have been doing a great job, the present environment is such that we cannot rely upon them alone. Therefore I am pursuing some "Under the hood" options to help fend off some of this spam. I just recently shelled out some money to "Akismet" which when properly configured, may help us fend off some of this crap. However it may be a few days before everything is up and running.

Peace

David Courtney

OM GUY

Postby OM GUY » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks for all the info and for your efforts... :)

Return to “THESE FORUMS”