Spam, Yay or Nay

Discussion of all things not related to Indian music with a special focus on the forum's features, bugs, and performance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

david
Site Admin

Spam, Yay or Nay

Post by david » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:43 pm

Dear Brothers and Sisters

I have always tried to make this forums your boards, and as much as possible, it has always evolved in directions that you, the users have indicated.

However the areas of spamming and flaming has never required input. Flamers are out, spammers are out. In these matter I have never felt the need to consult all of you. However sometime things are not so clear. Now I am coming to you for your input.

There is a user "maqsood" who use this board entirely to promote his business. On the negative side, it is clear that he has no interest whatsoever in contributing to the discussions. On the positive side his "ads" have been on topic and have not been disruptive.

I along with the moderators, are coming to all of you posters for input as to where we should "draw the line". If you feel that posters such as maqsood are acceptable, he stays. If you feel that he is out, then he is out.

I will base the decision entirely on the plurality of opinion. Furthermore this will be a guideline to us when this situation arises again.

I prefer that you post your comments here, but if for any reason you feel you need to make your thoughts private, you can PM me directly.

Please note that I will take a very dim view of sockpuppets in these discussions. Attempting to do this will most likely get you and your sockpuppet banned.

Peace

David Courtney

povster
Site Admin

Re: Spam, Yay or Nay

Post by povster » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:24 am

Personally I get weary of masqood's same posts. Main reason is he is not contributing, just using the slightest excuse to advertise.

People like Bruce or Kalyan - www.AACM.org/shop or Lars - www.RaincityMusic.com or Tony - www.Karaseksound.com all sometimes advertise or mention when new things come in for sale or make the ocassional sales recommendation. But the majority of their posts consist of advice and helping out.

Not so with masqood.

Someone in France who owns a sitar but is looking to buy or rent a cheap instrument to cover a one month trip to Scotland? I do not see the relevance of the ad masqood replied with.

The one time he actually seemed to contribute was when someone sought idenitification of a Carnatic instrument. masqood mis-identified it but added his "If you want to sell it or buy any kind of Indian Musical String Instrument, please contact us" ... contact info followed.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

cabernethy

Post by cabernethy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:05 am

Agree with Pov,

I would like to think that this is a place for learning above all else and in that light positive and relevant contribution is a must for any member.

I Would say ads are OK(ish) but only if they are relevant to the thread posted and the seller has taken the time to reply accordingly not just copy/paste sections.

Carl

ragamala

Post by ragamala » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:24 pm

I feel obligation to respond, as I did pass a comment in a recent sitar forum post, which may have come across as totally anti..

But frankly I feel that the poster there has not been excessive in posting 13 posts over the last 6 months or so, although, like the old story of nothing for ages then a host of No 11 buses all coming at once, he's posted too many at once, and sometimes just not thinking about relevance to the thread. Some of the posts have been responding to thread requests, and, although this shouldn't carry any weight, the poster is referring to a website which with a click takes you to his competitors. At least one post was reacting to westsea's promotion of his own website, and indeed the bamboo rudra veena thingy, so very understandable.

OK so it's not very sophisticated marketing, verging on advertising spam, but I think my verdict is to say, David, give him a shot over the bows and advise him this isn't the way you'd normally expect people to behave, but give the guy another chance.

Hamletsghost

Post by Hamletsghost » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Morning David

I also agree with letting him stay on - FOR NOW -
He should definately be informed that good taste and proper decorum states that he is welcome to correspond with potential clients thru the forum BUT the shotgun technique is unacceptable. Trippy with his vintage finds - Tony - Lars - AACM - etc etc - even Sitarsencat & Keshav when they were here did not take this approach - Other than when they got something cool to show - or a quick announcement of "Hey we got a shipment" they alowed other forumites to say - "Hey check out so and so they've got nice goods fair prices and will take care of you."
I would even say let maqsood post an overview of his history - services - products and pricing one time as he has no real website. This would give us all a chance to see his goods and judge for ourselves, as well as maybe start a dialogue with him that could be beneficial to all.
Tell him to contribute his 2 roops like Tony - Lars -Trippy - Kalyan - Bruce etc. SOMETHING more than - Hey lemme build you something.

Just MY 2 roops - cuz that's all they are worth.

Brian 8)
PEACE THRU MUSIC
Larry Darrell LIVES!

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:40 pm

ragamala wrote: ...David, give him a shot over the bows and advise him this isn't the way you'd normally expect people to behave, but give the guy another chance.
I very much agree with giving him another chance, but also a PM or similar expressing a need to actually contribute.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

TCPerez

Post by TCPerez » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:21 pm

While I'm fairly new here, I think his posts are fine. However they do borderline on spam. A "watch and wait" approach sounds best to me.

OM GUY

Post by OM GUY » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:20 am

Sorry to have come in here late... but I responded to one of "masgood's ad-like responses, basically with a" do you ever post anything worthwhile" type of a post, before I read this thread.

IMHO, I don't know how anyone can not construe his posts as anything short of self-angrandising spam, opportunism at it's best. Not one of the posts that I saw offered anything except goods for sale, certainly not one drop of knowledge flowed. To allow those type of posts to stand, would be to begin to permit others of a similar nature to ramp up on the forum. Where do you draw the line?

I'm all for sending folks like this a message, "contribute or take out an ad." Others on here who either have businesses or items to barter, trade or sale, do so as a secondary mention, not as their main focus. There is a big difference.
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

plectum

Post by plectum » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:34 am

Point taken

No limit on the number of posts a day :)
You know, music, art - these are not just little decorations to make life prettier. They're very deep necessities which people cannot live without. ~~ Pablo Picasso