Banning

Discussion of these forms, requests for forums, announcements about these forums

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

david
Site Admin

Banning

Postby david » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:42 pm

In the last two users days I have banned two users. One for making direct personal attacks at another forum user, and another for refusing to use the forum for anything other than to promote their own business.

Other than the usually cleaning of robot spammers this is the first time in two years that I have had to do this.

I know that whenever I have to do this there are waves of tension across the the board, and for this I apologize. However I want to make it clear that this is a place where anyone can make a post and not fear for a personal attack from another forum user. This should especially be true for newbies who do not yet understand the personal relations between the users.

Again I apologize for any tension that these bannings have caused.

Peace

David Courtney

ragamala

Re: Banning

Postby ragamala » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:00 pm

david wrote:In the last two users days I have banned two users. One for making direct personal attacks at another forum user, and another for refusing to use the forum for anything other than to promote their own business.

Other than the usually cleaning of robot spammers this is the first time in two years that I have had to do this.

David,

I really wish you didn't feel it necessary to make this post. Firstly because you don't have to explain your actions to anyone, it's your forum. But if you do, then you are inviting comments and people like me feel obliged to respond. And in stating it as I see it I know I will offend.

Regarding the business promotion, you canvassed views. You didn't get many public responses. But having done that I feel you might offer an explanation, if the general feeling was to give the poster another chance, of why a ban was imposed. It was, of course, always your right do do whatever you want.

Regarding the personal abuse I am wondering where the distinction comes between personal abuse and abuse of a respected senior musician.

Frankly I think the decision to axe the padma shri thread was far too late. It was obvious from the second post that this was likely to provoke a serious reaction. This forum is not just a cosy group of western friends who understand that some comments should be excused because the poster is well-respected and any failings are tolerated and understood. This situation went the expected way, even the poster there degenerated into posting comments about the native language of his detractors which in my view were objectionable, even if excusable because of the nasty personal comments he had received.

In this case I think to ban one poster in the thread seems a one-sided decision. The blame, if any, as I see it, id the failure of the moderation to take prompt and effective action to ensure that a potentially unpleasant situation does not develop.

I expect that I will get a response saying that tolerance extends etc etc until etc etc, but in my view this thread should have been terminated well before it was. The warning signs, as I said, were there right from the second post.

povster
Site Admin

Postby povster » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Just a couple of points in general.

It is difficult or impossible to know everything being posted, especially with the diverse time zones in this international forum. Threads may be created and subsequently removed before people next veiw the boards.

If one sees a post that really is suspect you can use the Report Post icon to alert moderators. Sometimes we need help in quickly identifying problem areas.

One never knows what goes on behind the scenes, if a user has been communicated with etc. before action is taken.

I respect David's decisions and actions. He does not have to post about bannings etc. but he elects to simply to keep the members informed and to help them understand the basic behaviors expected.

He should not be held accountable for detailed explanations of his actions. I think his saying the constant use of the boards simply for commercial promotion, or personal attacks will not be tolerated, are suffcient explanations unto themself.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

gillo

Postby gillo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:35 am

ragamala wrote:In this case I think to ban one poster in the thread seems a one-sided decision.

I totally agree. The gloves were well and truly off from the second post and although an apology/retraction was in order neither was forthcoming despite the initial responses being justified and well articulated.

david
Site Admin

Postby david » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:52 am

All, of your positions are dully noted, and your input is greatly appreciated. I assure you that I will consider all positions, even though pleasing everyone is clearly impossible.

In the last few years I have tried to steer a course which produces the same amount of criticism stating that I am too lenient in letting posts / posters remain as criticism that I am too quick to intervene.

Thank you for your input.

Peace

David Courtney

Return to “THESE FORUMS”