Sarod Pickup Transducer

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

manmeet

Sarod Pickup Transducer

Post by manmeet » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:52 am

I have seen sarod's where they have used a sort of pickup/transducer on the bridge and wanted to buy the following...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... transducer

I would just stick it to the sarod near the bridge or on the toomba when playing...not sure what'll give the best sound or how it'll stick. Anyone have any experience with this? Dean Markley Transducer Pickup.

aparajit

Re: Sarod Pickup Transducer

Post by aparajit » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Do not know what the adhesive will do to the skin. You can clean a guitar so there is no dust and the adhesive would work. How would you do that on the sarod?

Also, the sound of the sarod is intensely dependent on the skin and the mass of the bridge. Adding this to the skin, esp. near the bridge will change the acoustic characteristics drastically. Of course, the pickup itself may account for this and compensate.

I would go for something that does not touch the skin. If there is a pickup that could be mounted in the hollow space under the skin by approaching from the wood body and then sealed along with a plug mechanism to allow the wire to be attached or detached from the sarod (with the pickup being permanently installed internally), I think that would be a better solution.

My 2c.