NAILS HARDENERS

All things pertaining to the sarod.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

periklistsoukalas

NAILS HARDENERS

Post by periklistsoukalas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Hello

My Sarod teacher in Varanasi told me to clean my nails every night with spirit and then apply olive oil in order to get hard nails. As far as i did it i saw no results.
So some times i have to use nail hardener from stores!!

Can anyone suggest some ideas on how nails can become harder?

aparajit

Re: NAILS HARDENERS

Post by aparajit » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi...I get gel nails...They are awesome...I go to the nail salon and get three nails done...

Used to be that I did acrylic nails at home but the MMA (Methyl MethAcrylate) in the stuff caused issues.

I understand that MMA is banned now...and was considering using the new acrylic stuff which is EMA (Ethyl.....) and read that the Ethyl does not cause sensitization and allergies. However, gel works fine so I will stay away from acrylic.

periklistsoukalas

Post by periklistsoukalas » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to do it alone home and avoid going to salons ?

How long it lasts ?

bcat

Post by bcat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:17 pm

I also had great results with the gel. It lasts up to 6 weeks, and the tone is much better than acrylic false nails. It's the same material that some dentists use to fill teeth here in Europe so it's super hard. I think the best brand is called Astonishing Nails. It can be done at home, you just need the gel material and a UV light to make them harden. I prefer the salon. It's easy and quick and they know what they are doing. If you remove them before they completely grow out then the real nails underneath are quite thin and soft, and this is the downside. I try to let a couple of weeks go by in between to give the nails a little chance to return.

When you first try them i think you will be excited about their strength and the tone you get! Be prepared for about 10 seconds of pain as the UV light hardens each nail. Not too terrible, but good to know.

sam-i-um

Post by sam-i-um » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Try practicing first thing in the morning. For some reason before I wash my hands the nails are rock hard in the morning. Also, my nails were so soft and I tried putting super glue on them and dipping them in nail hardener and that worked well. But, I got sick of doing it and what worked best for me was practicing a lot more even on soft nails.
Just keep practicing and your nails will adapt and get much harder.

arc

Post by arc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:48 pm

following my guru's advice, i use "feviquick" (http://www.buytheprice.com/pimages/firstgen/27026.jpg) to give support to nails...works well at least for 2hrs of practice.