Aashish Khan Concert in LA 23rd

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Kirya

Aashish Khan Concert in LA 23rd

Post by Kirya » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:58 pm

I saw Aashish Khan and Swapan Choudary play in LA last night

I thought the performance was very disappointing and he did not seem ready with very little character given to the ragas he played.

Also he seemed way over amplified which made it even more painful as the besur notes were glaring

This did not seem to affect the applause which mostly focused on the tabla playing

I cannot imagine that AAK or Allaudin Khan would have been happy with this. I left saddened
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA

mctoadji

Re: Aashish Khan Concert in LA 23rd

Post by mctoadji » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:17 am

I was also at this concert and must defend Ashish Khan a little. Compared to his other recent concerts he played very well. That being said, all of which was said above is true to an extent. I was also unhappy with what I felt where a lot of flat intonation.
However, please consider this, Ashish Khan's knowledge of the music is unbelievable and a straight shot from his grandfather, and we all know who that was, which should be considered even though he is out of practice and older at this point.
Life is a journey, we may all as well be a little off at that age so this must be considered and he and his fans should be happy that he is sounding better. Maybe that's lame but I still have a lot to learn from watching him as I would say most people do reading this.
I just hope he stays on that path forward.

Kirya

Post by Kirya » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 pm

I must admit that I don't know his playing beyond a few recordings I have heard, where he is quite interesting. -- like a recent Kirwani with sitar on Youtube

I am sure that his knowledge must be deep given his access to Baba and others, but the man playing on Saturday night sounded like somebody who has not been practicing very much and way past his prime.

I would still attend a future concert on the off chance that he might have a good night as I am sure he is a fountain of knowledge and might be a wonderful teacher. And I have to imagine that it is all in there somewhere.

I also saw a concert with Chaurasia on Bansuri last year and he was also clearly past his prime. I don't think he ever got a clean note/sound on the big bansuri throughout the whole concert, though he got a wonderful clean/pure sound on the small bansuri -- but you could still hear the musical ideas and he still presented a respectable image of the raga with the help of a student who played a bit here and there. He was not as good as he had been in the past but it was still respectable.

To my ears (most of my live sarod experience has been with AAK and Amjad) the performance on Saturday was just bad, though perhaps not a disaster. I heard Kushal Das and Tarum Majumdar at UCLA play a wonderful Jhinjoti in October last year.

I am quite sure that most of the advanced students at the Ali Akbar School would have produced better performances for Jaijaiwant, Jog and Bhairavi than we heard from Aashish Khan on Saturday.

I hope that he will recover, and that some at the concert will tell him honestly that his performance was seriously lacking because it would really be sad if he believed the applause and felt that it was good enough. It was not.
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA

manjkhamaj

Post by manjkhamaj » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 pm

I agree that the concert was plain bad! Swapan saved the show.
I have to say Aashish Khans playing has always been somewhat...out of tune, or "jangly" if I may. This is my personal opinion. I do respect his knowledge and am fully aware of his pedigree as well. I first saw him play in Berkley back in 82, even then he was erratic in his playing. On the plus side he did have some killer jhallas back then