All wooden sarod???

All things pertaining to the sarod.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

TravTrav

All wooden sarod???

Postby TravTrav » Fri May 24, 2013 12:41 am

Hey!

I'm not new to the forums, but I don't say too much.

Been studying classical music for a few years on sitar and dilruba.

I've decided lately that the allure of the sarod is more for me, I also play oud and shamisen so fretless works for me. Guitars and Persian Tar are also things that I play and study quite seriously...

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a beginner sarod for riyaz and familiarization before I head to india to study and buy a better quality one once I know exactly what I'm looking for.

I've been looking at options on ebay and stumbled accross this piece of work, It's quite interesting as there is no hide component to the soundboard, it's all timber.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRO-GRADE-INDIAN-AMJAD-ALI-KHAN-SAROD-STRINGS-ALL-BLACK-w-RARE-WOODEN-TABLI/181024112455?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D7871223987969129895%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D140981218702%26
Anyone know anything about this? seen it? played it?

I found some articles that relate to a similar type of instrument below.

http://www.shekharborkar.com/thenewinsturment.htm

I also live in Darwin, Australia and it's super humid here, my persian Tar skin died and I had to order a synthetic skin from Iran, luckily that one held up like a boss!

any help here would be appreciated!

trippy monkey

p

Postby trippy monkey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:18 pm

p
Last edited by trippy monkey on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TravTrav

Re: All wooden sarod???

Postby TravTrav » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:16 am

Thanks TM,

yeah I posted this as soon as I saw it, not really looking into it very well, I found a youtube clip of some guy playing it, sounded terrible, the sitar jawaris in leu of the sarod bridge kills it, not to mention the timber soundboard. I am really chasing somethign electric mainly, but I recently was pointed in the direction of an assie repairer who sells sarod bridges with pickups built into them, alot easier that trying to tape/tack a pickup to it!

I'm more inclined to spend a bit more, buy a better sarod and buy an electric bridge, see how it goes.

I'm currently on a little spending spree as I'm eyeing off sarods and rudra veenas, drupad makes me fuzzy all over and I'm hooked on not only it's enourmously beautiful size and structure but it's mellow tones... we'll see what happens!

trippy monkey

p

Postby trippy monkey » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:21 am

p
Last edited by trippy monkey on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TravTrav

Re: All wooden sarod???

Postby TravTrav » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:44 am

It's a film contact pickup much like the PUTW (pickup the world) pickups.

http://www.perfectthird.com/bridges%20Godden.htm

that's the contact I have in Australia for them, the bridges are cast around the pickup system. I am yet to try one out as my sitar is already electric and the pickup is quite good and I don't want to spend weeks doing jawari for no reason.

They seem pretty good.

Possible with the veena sale, I will have to check, my girlfriend and I just yesterday decided to move to Europe in 2 years, so I'm now at the horrible decision making point of sorting what I need for live performance in my band and what is actually decent with traveling as we'll be roughing it for the first few months in warehouses with crazy art friends... part of me says 'don't buy a wonderful instrument and take it to a trashbag party warehouse home for a few months and have it get trashed' the other part says 'buy it man, you need an instrument for you personally that's not a performance instrument'

decision pending.

Thanks for letting me know though!

Return to “SAROD”