Left hand technique

All things pertaining to the sarod.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

manjkhamaj

Left hand technique

Post by manjkhamaj » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Here's an excellent example of how the left hand nails are used on the fingerboard, especially because there's closeup shot. Along with Alam Khan and Satyam Rai Aman Khan according to my opinion are in the top of their game. This is my opinion and there's certainly no objectivity when it comes to evaluating technique as opinions may differ. But regardless enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8UV1DjV8e8

ahirbhairav

Re: Left hand technique

Post by ahirbhairav » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:59 am

Amaan is too fussy about monitor levels during concerts. He's coming here tomorrow, and I AM NOT going there.
Next concert: Aditya Sharma (today)
Sandipan Samajpati (9/28)
Shubhendra Rao (10/19)
Rakesh & Friends (Gino Banks, the drummer, tweeted me that they'll be in Oct, so whenever they come here, if they come here.)
Zakir Hussain & company (3/23/14)

manjkhamaj

Post by manjkhamaj » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:55 am

The problem is that many sound engineers don't know how to do the sound when it comes to indian classical instruments. I've seen Zakir Hussian be fussy as well. Where is he playing? Fussy or not can't deny he's a phenomenal sarod player when it comes to technique. I don't know of any other sarod player today who has his power and preciseness.

Gyurme

Post by Gyurme » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:27 pm

the video is indeed very useful for sarod left hand techniques. Also Arnab's input in a similar post this section, he is a great source of information.
Amaan has very long nails. I have heard from other sarod players that all you actually need is 1-2mm of finger nail to play well, as in the photo below by an accomplished sarod playing friend.

May I ask all you sarod players, do you keep your left hand fingernails short or long, do you feel that 1-2 mm is enough to play well and at speed ( as in the first 20 seconds of the youtube clip by Amaan) or does it depend on what style/sarod you play on?

I play some sitar and oud and have been considering the sarod, as long as I can keep my fingernails short enough to play oud. all feedback appreciated, thanks.
Attachments
sarod.nails.jpg
sarod.nails.jpg (118.12 KiB) Viewed 782 times

arnabsarod

Post by arnabsarod » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:30 pm

Matthew, thanks for your appreciation.

In Hindustani music, speed is highly contextual.

Reasonably fast and accented (accents generated by using pattern-based changes in pick direction rather than plain alternate picking) taans by yours truly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkTA-pL2sck

Just recorded this on my webcam so sorry for the messy appearance. :)

The nail length here is 2mm from the fingertips for the index and middle fingers, and about 3 mm for the ring finger, which I find useful for extending its reach by a wee bit!

manjkhamaj

Post by manjkhamaj » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:26 am

Well let be begin by saying there is no "one" particular length that is the "best" or "needed' what one needs is up to that individual. Amaan Keeps his nails long because he needs them according to his playing style. Some players file their nails flat and some curve them on the edges and this depends on the sound/tone he wishes to produce. I feel the curved edges lend themselves to playing alap and helps in emphasizing on the shrutis, as the nail is able to literally roll fractions of a millimeter before or after a note. The flat nail lends to playing fast/staccato passages, the nail will hit the string, much like a bigger head of a hammer has more of a chance of hitting a nail.