Meend fingering: one, two or three fingers?

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

barend

Meend fingering: one, two or three fingers?

Post by barend » Fri May 09, 2014 9:41 am

I am not a sarod player but interested in sarod left hand technique to translate to my fretless guitar. Is there any consensus in the fingering for meend in alap on sarod?
1) what fingers do you use? one, two or three fingers?
2) when do you choose which finger?
3) do you also play meends going from 1 to 2 (or 2 to 3) in one movement like on violin or sarangi?

I know there must be some different approaches in various schools but are there some general 'rules' so I can get some structure in my meend fingering?

barend

Re: Meend fingering: one, two or three fingers?

Post by barend » Thu May 15, 2014 9:40 am

Are all sarod players asleep? :D

kalyan

Post by kalyan » Fri May 16, 2014 10:37 pm

It is mostly done with the first finger until you get past high sa on the ma string then the second finger is used. This is not a hard fast rule though and most players can use either anywhere, because if you are proficient with both you can use the fingernail that happens to be in the best shape at that time. Also it is common to use the second finger if you fist finger is down and you are then going to do an ornament that ends in a place where the second finger would normally be used, for instance on the middle sa string if your first finger is on re and next you were to play a sliding ornament like mgRg it then makes more sense to use the second finger. I have never seen anyone who routinely uses the third finger for meend (maybe in an extreme fingernail emergency).
Kalyan
Kalyan

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic

barend

Post by barend » Sat May 17, 2014 10:51 am

ok, thanks Kalyan! so basically most meends are done with either finger 1 or 2 (if you go higher)?
The reason I asked is that on Indian violin (maybe also on sarangi?) lots of time you play meends going in one fluent motion from finger 1 to 2 (when going up) or from 2 to 1 (when going down). And also 2 to 3 (or 3 to 2). Keeping finger 1 and 2 very close together and replacing the weight from one finger to the other while sliding. That is mostly done when having larger intervals (say 1,5 step or more, for example komal Dha-Sa-komal Dha). I wander if you ever do such a thing on sarod? or do you play meends strictly with one finger (either finger 1 or 2, but never together)?
Last edited by barend on Sun May 18, 2014 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalyan

Post by kalyan » Sat May 17, 2014 7:22 pm

Hammer on an pull of techniques are used but they are more sticatto than they would be on a bowed instrument, you really have to be very forcefull when doing these or you lose all the energy in the string so these are more rhythmic than fluid.On guitar with its lower action you may be able to find a happy medium
Kalyan
Kalyan

barend

Post by barend » Sun May 18, 2014 1:54 am

That's not exactly what I mean. I am purely talking about meends no hammer on or pull off. The sliding one motion meends from finger 1 to finger 2 (and 2 to 1 when going down) in one stroke/bow like you see a lot on Indian violin.

kalyan

Post by kalyan » Mon May 19, 2014 4:41 am

I have never seen this done on a sarode with a fluid sound, generally if you simply lift the nail of the string even if the next one is down all the sustain will be gone so the pull of is necessary( same for adding a finger). So those smooth meend type phrases would be done using one finger only or you would have to pick again and lose the effect anyway.
Kalyan
Kalyan

barend

Post by barend » Mon May 19, 2014 8:23 am

kalyan wrote:I have never seen this done on a sarode with a fluid sound, generally if you simply lift the nail of the string even if the next one is down all the sustain will be gone so the pull of is necessary( same for adding a finger). So those smooth meend type phrases would be done using one finger only or you would have to pick again and lose the effect anyway.
It can be done if you hold your fingers very close together like on Indian violin. I do this on fretless guitar and double bass as well. It is kind of a hammer on but you don't hear the hammer on action at all. It is one fluent motion going from finger 1 to 2 (or 2 to 1 when going down) without picking the string again. When done correctly it sounds just like a one finger meend.