important- Hemen sarod scam- new Hemen instruments NOT as represented.

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

coyootie

important- Hemen sarod scam- new Hemen instruments NOT as represented.

Post by coyootie » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:28 pm

I just saw this. Brian Godden is one of the senior experts in the field of Indian instrument knowledge of construction and repair.This is a seriously bad scam being perpetrated by the current Hemen son who has apparently made a real disaster of his father's good name and legacy.

http://www.perfectthird.com/hemenscam.htm

I am disgusted by this. I owned a superb Hemen sarod way back and it is terrible to think that this is what the Hemen workshop has descended to.I am not into spreading slander but Brian is obviously also seriously dismayed, not to mention ripped off, by Hemen Jr.

Sitarfixer

Re: important- Hemen sarod scam- new Hemen instruments NOT as represented.

Post by Sitarfixer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:08 pm

HOLY CRAP ! ! ! What a piece of s*** ! ! ! Having had a similar but not so extreme situation happen myself while living in India, I'm not all that surprised. Fake Hiren Roy and Hemen sitars are being sold in England as well as India. Rebadged firewood is now becoming more commonplace and the scam meisters now realize they can get away with it. Buyer beware, especially in India. Farewell, Hemen and Co. Your past is saluted and remembered fondly and with respect. The Hemen and Co. of today - As illustrated - avoid at all costs. What a shame !

Lars

Post by Lars » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:48 pm

Tony, sometimes the fake Hiren Roys are better nowadays, ha ha...life is change I suppose. I enjoyed the little time I had hanging out with Hemen, he was a gentleman, I had some interactions with both his sons when there that left me feeling like it wouldn't continue on in the future. I feel sad for sarod players.

Lars
http://www.raincitymusic.com

trippymonkey

Post by trippymonkey » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:41 am

SHEEETT
I really do hope if I'VE put anything up for sale & there's any doubt, that someone will tell me !!!!!

Jojolefthishome

Post by Jojolefthishome » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:26 pm

Sad to see this happen. How about their other instruments? Sitars?
Jay
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain" -Bob Marley

VNO Design

Post by VNO Design » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:09 am

Horrible news.

Nearly unbelievable that Ratan would pull something like this for shortsighted monetary gain. I had the pleasure of visiting Hemanbaba's shop and watching him work years ago, and his craftsmanship was rightfully legendary. Speaking with his son at the time, you would never think it would come to this.

I hope they get stung in a major way from this, and return to the quality that was once in the Hemen name.

-David
Main Site: www.transtabla.us
Facebook: facebook.com/transtabla
Twitter: @TransTablas