Does anyone play sarod and guitar?

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

norumba

Re: Does anyone play sarod and guitar?

Post by norumba » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:32 pm

i do play both, and have found a happy medium re nail length. my main guitar playing is on a fretless guitar, however, so i use some finger nail on that (you can see some recent fretless performances here).

if youre doing more regular guitar playing - chords, etc - i recommend getting your fretboard scalloped a la McLaughlin or Malmsteen. not only can you do sitar or vina -like meends, but you get the requisite fingernail clearance. i have ny fretted guitar set up this way, and it really alleviates the nail problem to a large extent.

chaser2009

Post by chaser2009 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:31 am

i love playing guitar.,i have different types of guitar,..
A steel plate shear wall (SPSW) consists of steel infill plates bounded by a column-beam system.

johnlary2403

Post by johnlary2403 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:41 am

I am playing guitar but made up of wood. Is that guitar made up of steel plate have good sounds when you play it???

nicneufeld

Post by nicneufeld » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:10 pm

I wonder if it would be possible to invent a type of "finger glove" that slips over the finger tightly and incorporates a metal "false nail". Just as people use finger picks on their right hand for fingerstyle guitar, to simulate longer nails, some sort of removable fingertips with a metal "fingernail" or fret on the tip would be interesting, but getting them to be ergonomic and not restrict ones playing would probably require a lot of trial and error.

semaj

Post by semaj » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:40 am

I play sarod, guitar, violin, upright bass, and some others. Violin is the most particular for nail length, as was indicated in an earlier post. The rest are not a problem. My biggest nail hang-up is brittle nails. The older I get, the more fragile my nails become. I've tried glue on acrylics, but they aren't dependable. I do, when my nails 'de-laminate' paint a little cyano-acrilic glue on them. I found a bottle with a tiny paint brus. That seems to add quite a bit of strength.

Good luck, and keep us posted with your findings.

periklistsoukalas

Post by periklistsoukalas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:13 pm

I play fretless classical and electric guitars and oud.
I can ensure you that it is a big problem..

I've tried almost every possible solution you can imagine but still not working 100% for both instruments.

So for me the solution is you play Guitar or Sarod if you want to get fully concentrated on playing. Otherwise you can have short nails (up to fingertips) and use more the angle of your fingers in Guitar and Sarod properly. You will get good enough results.