Sarod Construction

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

nigelgarvie

Sarod Construction

Post by nigelgarvie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi,
I read a very interesting, but now old thread, regarding possible innovations in the construction of the sarod. I am studying sarod, but my main work is as a Scottish bagpipe and sometimes cittern maker, which I supplement as a musician playing cittern (Scottish traditional music and fusion of this with ICM). I tried to email Arnab Chakrabarty at his website email address but the email didn't get through. I am fascinated from an instrument makers point of view, with some of his and others' ideas in this thread, and would hope to be able to contribute to these. Can anybody help?
Thanks
Nigel

aparajit

Re: Sarod Construction

Post by aparajit » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Arnab is a friend of mine on facebook. I am also interested in Sarod construction. Contact me at 513 289 7874 if you need further info or want to start a discussion.

Thanks,
Apu

kalyan

Post by kalyan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:44 pm

In the spirit of plectum's comments on a different thread. As a player I don't feel like I could give too much advice but I do have some perspective on the repair end of things so I have just put up some pics of a couple nice Hemen sarods in various state of undress that might be of interest.The folder is not vary organized but the sarode stuff should be obvious. http://godden.shutterfly.com/pictures/136 Unfortunately my old computer died where I had some great close up shots of Ali Akbar Khans concert sarod without the plate on it, this was the instrument made for him by his uncle and the prototype for the AAK style instruments that are made today.Eventually I will try to get the data recovered just for those pictures( though I am not sure weather or not Khansahib would have wanted them on the net I think they would be great to have for archival purposes).

Kalyan
Kalyan

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic

wilsaxo

Post by wilsaxo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks for the photos Kalyan! They do bring a few questions to mind:
1. is the bracing in the bowl standard procedure?
2. do you use Elmer's glue for attaching the skin? I would have thought hide glue.
3. how long does the instrument stay in the stretching gig?

Cheers,
David

plectum

Post by plectum » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks Kalyan.............. :D
You know, music, art - these are not just little decorations to make life prettier. They're very deep necessities which people cannot live without. ~~ Pablo Picasso

kalyan

Post by kalyan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:51 am

HI David
Yes most sarods that I have seen have bracing of some kind in the bowl, most hemens have the style that go diagonally from the end block down to the bottom, the other one pictured ( with the bracing going straight across the top)is the only one I have seen like it , but that sarode is also the largest I have ever seen about 1/3 larger than standard. Also that sarod has the extra support rail for the sympathetic pegs witch allows the wall on that side to be much thinner, but if they are not done right the can be a pain.
I use white elmers glue to attach the head so that it can be removed and cleaned easily with water. Generally I leave the sarod in the jig at least 4 hours if the weather is dry, but usually I leave it over night .
Kalyan
Kalyan

plectum

Post by plectum » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:11 am

Okay so here is the question I always wanted to ask, but was afraid to :) . Here goes, is the body of the sarod carved out a solid block of wood, or is there some other technique?

Another thing, I noticed that the inside of the sarod is not really finished up as the outer side, which is given a smooth finish. Then I guess, the inside surface finish does not matter much with the sound quality, does it?
You know, music, art - these are not just little decorations to make life prettier. They're very deep necessities which people cannot live without. ~~ Pablo Picasso

kalyan

Post by kalyan » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:53 am

Hi Plectum,
I think generally all good sarods are carved from 1 block of wood the difference from a 1 piece and a 2 piece is on the 2 piece the headstock is joined in. On all of them the head stock is split down the middle then hollowed out and re-attached. The insides are never smoothed out like the outside you can still see the tool marks, I don't think that the need to be exact but they should generally follow the contour of the outside and not be too thick. One problem with a sarod that is too thin is the potential for crack,s the problem with a sarod that is too thick is weight also they can be quiet or a little dull sounding.
Kalyan
Kalyan

plectum

Post by plectum » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks Kalyan,

Actually I am continuously amazed by the skill level needed to make a sarod (or any ICM instrument for that matter). For sarod the maker has to know woodworking to be able to cut the body and the pegs, put polish etc. He has to know metalworking to be able to fit the finger plate. He needs to make the bridge and nut out of deer horn or some other such material. And finally he has to know how to work with leathers to make and fit the goatskin covering for the drum. Lots of things to learn.

mahes111

Post by mahes111 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 am

This is really interesting very good article, if this is your new post then really you working is appreciative keep it continue hard working...Thank you

Computer Repairs Melbourne