New Project -- Mohan Singh Tumba Replacement

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Bakersbites786

Re: New Project -- Mohan Singh Tumba Replacement

Post by Bakersbites786 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:02 pm

Found a video of the tumba uploading it to YouTube I'll send link when available. This was whilst still I was at Lahore.

kalyan

Post by kalyan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:33 am

very very cool!! looks great i would love to hear it. Reminds me of a Zeppelin or old airplane. I've been thinking alot lately about alternative resonators for sitar and tanpuras as I have a few nice faces kicking around but the trial and error process does seem daunting. Balsa seems like a good fit as you can build in some tension but it seems like it would not be too bright or heavy like maple or mahogany. Lots of work building that frame I am sure
Kalyan
Kalyan

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic

coyootie

Post by coyootie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:55 pm

wow,many thanks for posting the Lahore maker's Youtube. It's very clear they use some kind of pine for construction. I've had several Sher Md sitars that I really loved and they were apparently pine....without stripping them it was difficult to conclusively determine this. I was fine-fitting some pegs and noticed the smell was just like pine when cut.
building a tumba out of ribs like a lute makes perfect sense. A gourd is a wonderful natural 'ready made' sound box but the fragility and spongey inside texture doesn't necessarily add any advantages. Pine type woods are readily available and easy to work with. Pine being a softwood, some of its qualities would approximate a gourd moreso than hardwoods.This Youtube has saved me a trip to Lahore and endless questions.... sometimes I can only say 'thankgawd' for the Internet.My next sitar build is now going to be pine with no hesitation!

Bakersbites786

Post by Bakersbites786 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:42 pm

Glad it was of some use to you Coyootie. They use some kind of glue sawdust and ground dust paste on the outside and then sand it down smooth. Wood strips I was told are soaked in water first. I was very surprised how light it was in weight.

coyootie

Post by coyootie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:42 pm

the major challenge in making a rib-built shape is laying out the templates for the ribs. I've made rough models for ouds out of elongated leaf-shapes cut out of shirt board and then taped together to make the form.I'd do something similar to establish the shape for a nice sitar tumba. Once you have it figured out, you're good to go.I've found if the wood is flexible enough it's better to bend with dry heat only and not to soak the ribs.

mahadev

Post by mahadev » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:01 pm

Hi Katyrow,

:D

sorry for not having been in touch lately, will write.

Very cool. You know I am a hardcore Mohan Singh fan , seeing this 'wreck' restored makes me very happy.

Greetings, will be in touch soon.
http://maxflury.com/