G. S. Musicals?

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

G. S. Musicals?

Postby StVitus » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:45 pm

Is G. S. Musicals a legit instrument dealer? I ask because this surbahar looks great: http://www.gsmusicals.com/content/surbahar-ganesh

But it’s inexpensive direct, appears for under $1,000 on eBay, and there’s no label from a maker. Then there’s this note “As the model is Highly Professional the Handling Period for this Item is of 15 working days” which makes me wonder if they’re just ordering these from a cheap shop that slaps a Ganesh idol on a cheap instrument.

katyrow

Re: G. S. Musicals?

Postby katyrow » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:44 am

I've made impulse purchases of very inexpensive accessories like tuning beads and a narka from GS and they've been fine, but I've never considered buying one of their instruments. Assuming that you are in the US or Europe, a new surbahar that is worth owning will cost you something like $1800 delivered if you buy directly from Radhey or substantially less than that if you buy from Waseem, but you should assume that it will require extensive set-up or even a complete overhaul after you get it. So that's really not an option unless you do your own set up or have someone close by who can do it for you as a favor or at a reasonable cost. Used surbahars from private sellers come up for sale on occasion, but not very often, and you'll have the same set-up issues and other uncertainties about condition, playability, delivery, and so on. If you want a good instrument that is well set-up, it will cost around $2500 up to around $3000, plus shipping, from a reputable retailer, of which there are only a few.

Sillofthedoor

Postby Sillofthedoor » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:59 pm

someone bought one of these a year or so back, not through GS Musicals and posted it on this forum. They seemed happy, but their expectations were low, but what turned up was quite different to the pictured one and was indeed to my eye something closer to, your description of a cheap instrument with a ganesh idol slapped on:

See for yourself:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12884&p=78659&hilit=ganesh+surbahar#p78659

StVitus

Postby StVitus » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:24 am

Thanks for sharing that. That’s actually the headstock GS Musicals shows, but the side view makes it look a lot less attractive. I’ll just save up for a few years and if I’m still interested I’ll get something nice.

Return to “SITAR & SURBAHAR”