Josh Feinberg’s Hal Leonard Method questions

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

Josh Feinberg’s Hal Leonard Method questions

Post by StVitus » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:39 am

I’m running through the Hal Leonard Sitar Method book by Josh Feinberg. I know questions will come up, and since Mr. Feinberg has posted here before I thought it would be a good place to post as it would be easy for him to respond.

Please don’t take this thread as a negative critique of Mr. Feinberg’s book. I think it’s a good beginner’s method book, at least so far. I’m just creating this thread for asking questions about the book.
Last edited by StVitus on Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

StVitus

Re: Josh Feinberg’s Hal Leonard Method questions

Post by StVitus » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:50 am

I’ll start with some questions about bols, pages 21–24. These exercises aren’t on the CD so it’s hard to understand exactly what I’m to play.

Page 21:
Does the phrasing mark mean to play the previous note slightly shorter or to hold it slightly longer?

Page 24:
Page 11 states “When a rest comes after a note we generally just let the note ring.” But page 24 says that the rests are to be played silent. Does that mean to let these notes ring, or to literally silence the strings?

The latter bol 2 ends with 12 as a diri. Does this mean to play diri on 1 and 2? Or is this a da ra being transcribed as diri?

Joshua Feinberg

Post by Joshua Feinberg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:33 am

Thanks for tracking me down and asking these questions. I'd so much rather answer questions than have you play it incorrectly or be confused.

For the bols, the comma is a phrase marking just to mark where the different pieces are. There should not be a rest or pause added at all.

Actually we did record all the bols but it wasn't clear in the recording if it was a da or ra from the sound, so I decided not to use it.

On page 24 the 2 being silent means that you are playing a stroke on 1 and 3 but not 2. You still have to count it, but nothing should be plucked. The notes still ring. You can think of the first note on being counted for 1 and 2.

As for the Bol. Diri is the same as da ra, it's just played twice as fast. The exercise I think you're referring to is da . Ra da . Ra Diri. The rhythm for this should sound like 123,123,12.

1. 2. 3. 1. 2. 3. 1 2
Da (gap) ra da (gap) ra Di ri

Hope that helps!

Josh
www.joshfeinbergmusic.com
"Practice is the word, because without practice you cannot take one step more," Pt. Nikhil Banerjee

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:37 am

Thanks, Josh!