Help buying this Surbahar

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

katyrow

Re: Help buying this Surbahar

Postby katyrow » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:50 pm

The false harmonics just kill me. Does he do that with the thumb of his mizrab hand?

barend

Postby barend » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:37 am

That is actually the first surbahar recording I heard long time ago. Never noticed it was an 8 string.

Those artificial harmonics are done by laying your side of your hand on the string an octave higher and picking with the mizrab at the left side before the side of the hand. I do it however by holding the thumb on the string and picking with the mizrab at the right side like Jaco is doing on his bass. I guess the Pathaks have copied it from classical guitar players.

cwroyds

Postby cwroyds » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:14 pm

Yeah, the harmonics are a cool effect.
Here is his father using harmonics.
You can get a pretty good view of both hands playing harmonics at about 1:00 into the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liWjsRRdliA

Winemaker

Postby Winemaker » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:56 am

Hello All,

I revive this post because I have been thinking in buying a Naeem, from Miraj Surbahar instead of the last ones.. I dont know if any of you have experience with him.

I have been thinking in the old same question, Teak or Tun. Im almost decided for Tun since its warmer sound, more rounded maybe. Bit less of sustain but probably wont be the big difference. In dumbish terms of western aesthethics, can a tunwood surbahar look the same as a teakwood? Because the special teakwood model in his website looks really good I would like the tunwood to look exactly like the teakwood model in his website.

You think that could be possible?

Because this : http://naeemsitarmaker.com/Special%20su ... 0wood.html

doesnt look the same as this:
http://naeemsitarmaker.com/Special%20sur%20bahar.html

I like the first one better but I think I like the tunwood sound more. So I was hoping to have a tunwood which lookl like the teakwood in the first.

Hope I explained myself clearly.

Sillofthedoor

Postby Sillofthedoor » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:50 am

Just email him and don't be afraid to ask for what you want.

the miraj makers seem to be competing to outdo each other in designs and decoration these days so make the most of it.

These are made bespoke for you and the ones in the website are best thought of as examples.

so you want the teak design in tun, shouldn't a problem, you prefer the swan head of the tun though no problem. you want a bit less more or different decoration, just ask and maybe provide pictures. Seen an idea for a better langot? (there are some nice ones out there these days) show him a pic.

You want your name inscribed in arabic up through the faceplate of the neck? probably could be done. lol. (hey!...nah).

In fact why not ask for opnions here on what to ask for....?

Winemaker

Postby Winemaker » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Sillofthedoor wrote:Just email him and don't be afraid to ask for what you want.

the miraj makers seem to be competing to outdo each other in designs and decoration these days so make the most of it.

These are made bespoke for you and the ones in the website are best thought of as examples.

so you want the teak design in tun, shouldn't a problem, you prefer the swan head of the tun though no problem. you want a bit less more or different decoration, just ask and maybe provide pictures. Seen an idea for a better langot? (there are some nice ones out there these days) show him a pic.

You want your name inscribed in arabic up through the faceplate of the neck? probably could be done. lol. (hey!...nah).

In fact why not ask for opnions here on what to ask for....?

That sounds great!

I have asked him a double tumba Surbahar with deeper lower tumba, a wide tabli and a good kharaj and pancham. So first of all a compromise in making
Me best tone possible. But I wonder what is possible to ask that would be a good to ask for in your opinion ?

Thanks

Bakersbites786

Postby Bakersbites786 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi
I have two of Naeem's sitars, worked with him start to finish on them, great sitars and a great man to work with too. Replied to all my queries promptly.
U won't go wrong with Naeem he understands his trade well. Competent sitarmaker in my opinion.
With some from Miraj U need to put in a few days of tweaking if there are dud stops on the fret. No problems with Naeem's work.

Bakersbites786

Postby Bakersbites786 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:09 am

https://youtu.be/YWkksJQj_yo

Here is a link of Naeem's surbahar being played. There are others to on fb etc, I remember seeing Ustad/Pandit Ranjeev playing one too.

barend

Postby barend » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:40 am

For me personally that is a bit overdone on the decorations. You see this a lot with the Miraj makers nowadays. It is great that they try new things with the looks and I love that but sometimes it is a bit too much (for me).

Sillofthedoor

Postby Sillofthedoor » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:00 pm

One innovation I am quite keen on I suspect originates from Tony Karesek, and its the langots that use the string fixings traditionally seen on tampuras rather than sitars. They are also uaually widened so that there is more space for the string fixings, for tun9ing beads and so that the strings follow a straight line right from the langot over the bridge and up to the neck, which has to be an improvement.

Here is a picture of a sitar one, but Wasseem has been making surbs with them also:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Sillofthedoor

Postby Sillofthedoor » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:11 am

I should add and I don't know:

Is that langot better for a concert. Where a broken string, if the loop is already assembled ready for the old stile langot can replaced in the same time?

Return to “SITAR & SURBAHAR”