Sitar gat recording

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

jaysitar22

Sitar gat recording

Post by jaysitar22 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:23 pm

Hi all,

I recorded Maseet and Reza Khani gats in Alhaiya Bilawal from
"Techniques of Sitar".
They are just simple renditions, I am not at a level to improvise on with these, some of my meends are a little off, but here you go,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxyJckF ... e=youtu.be

I am open to all input or criticism
"If a man follows the mind given him and makes it his teacher, then who can be without a teacher?"
“To be truly ignorant, be content with your own knowledge.”
-Chuang Tzu

Bakersbites786

Re: Sitar gat recording

Post by Bakersbites786 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:34 pm

Bravo!!!
Really well played and great laykhari too. Just subscribed to your channel please keep them coming. Thanks

jaysitar22

Post by jaysitar22 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks, glad you liked it!

As an aside, so I don't have to do another post...
There is a mp3 converter that downloads the audio from youtube videos, and saves it to your computer. There really is an amazing library on youtube of ICM.

There are two programs that are useful for transcribing, BestPractice (free) and Transcribe! (30 day trial, then 1 time payment of $40). I am not affiliated with these programs. The pitch of the recordings can be shifted to match your Sa, and slowed by up to 50%. The loop feature is also very useful. BestPractice is ok, but I found Transcribe! to be really amazing software. I shifted a few Ravi Shankar and Nikhil Banerjee recording to Surbahar pitch and slowed them down about 20%, awesome. It is a shame there aren't more Maihar style surbahar players/ recordings, it is such a noble instrument. Now hearing some Maihar style rudra veena, that might be interesting.

Did my main string stick out in any way as sounding thin? IThe sitar is in D with the old school tuning,
2 jori and a low Pa, the ma is a .011. I used to use the .012 gauge, all the notes on the frets sound great with the .012, but any extended meend work began to hurt pretty quickly, and it also seemed to sound and feel choked on my sitar. It has also been about 3-4 years since my last jawari.
Last edited by jaysitar22 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a man follows the mind given him and makes it his teacher, then who can be without a teacher?"
-Chuang Tzu

jaysitar22

Post by jaysitar22 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:10 am

Yaman Masit and Reza Khani gats with notations,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFT_tbE ... e=youtu.be
-Chuang Tzu

jaysitar22

Post by jaysitar22 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:38 am

Hi All,
things have been busy and I haven't been able to practice much sitar, but here is a Masit & Reza Khani gat in Khamach with the gats notated.
Feel free to critique my playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gAN6tJko34
-Chuang Tzu

jaysitar22

Post by jaysitar22 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:06 am

hey there,

Bhairav gat recording with notations, the Reza khani gat is pretty cool,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke6hA5Z ... e=youtu.be
-Chuang Tzu

Bakersbites786

Post by Bakersbites786 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:17 pm

Really well played. Thanks for sharing the clips.

Master Khani bols would be Dir Da dir Da Ra Da Da Ra. What are the RazaKhani bols? Is it a 48 Bol pattern? Appreciate a gat in Razakhani if U can.

Thank you.

jaysitar22

Post by jaysitar22 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:20 pm

hey,

Thank you for the compliments! If you look in the description section on the youtube videos, both gat compositions are notated.
the general basic bol pattern is, |o da dir da, da|3 - da, da ra|x da - - da,|2 da ra da ra|o da dir dir dir|3 da- rada -ra da-|
I believe this form of gat has more bol variants than the Masit Khani.

The commas in the gat notation is a shortcut to indicate the bols, it shows the rhythmic grouping and after every comma the bol is always da.

In the book most of the Reza Khani gats are listed as "compact composition", but I think they can be broken down into an A & B

|o S dd P, d|3 - P, G m|x d - - P,|2 G m r S|o G mm G, G|3 - m, P m||x G mm dd mm|2 dm G,m Gr, S-,|o S rr S, d|3 - N, m P|
|x G mm dd PP|2 dm G,m G,r S-,|

can be broken down into
A: |o S dd P, d|3 - P, G m|x d - - P,|2 G m r S|o G mm G, G|3 - m, P m||x G mm dd mm|2 dm G,m Gr, S-,|
B: |o S rr S, d|3 - N, m P|x G mm dd PP|2 dm G,m G,r S-,|

So when introducing the gat you would play the whole composition and when you are improvising you would only repeat the A section between improvisational episodes, (taan or toda, guthava, lari, larguthava, larlapet, jhala, and thonk jhala.)

Note: in the RK gats the gaps are filled, |2 da- rada -ra da-| (3+3+2)
|2 dm G,m Gr, S-,| & |2 dm G,m G,r S-,| Bandyopadhyaya says to use pull offs on the in between notes, but I found that using meend from 3, 4, or sometimes 5 notes below gives a more vocal quality.

Hope that helps!
-Chuang Tzu

Bakersbites786

Post by Bakersbites786 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:17 pm

Thank U so much Jaysitar22 for the write up. Really appreciate it. Will learn Raag Bhairav gat from your notes.
You wouldn't happen to have a gat in Raag Juanpuri?

Thank U.

jaysitar22

Post by jaysitar22 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:32 pm

Awesome, glad you are getting something out of these. It would be great to hear other players renditions of those gats, and even improvise with it.

I don't have any gats in Jaunpuri. Next in the queue is Marwa, Kafi, and Asaveri. Doesn't Asaveri and Jaunpuri use similiar tonal material but in slightly different ways? Maybe you can alter the Asaveri gat compositions or a Jaunpuri flavor.
-Chuang Tzu