Shops in NYC?

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

Shops in NYC?

Postby StVitus » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:03 pm

I’m vacationing in NYC. Where should I go that’s of interest to a sitar player? Keshav is too far out of town for me to get there. I plan to swing by Music Inn. Are there any good shops in Astoria?

coyootie

Re: Shops in NYC?

Postby coyootie » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:47 pm

I don't know who runs Music Inn now. Many years back I made the mistake of stopping by-the owners were arrogant,condescending and nasty. Prices were absurd.I have rarely experienced such complete jerks in any sort of retail biz.If I recall they were actually charging admission for the privilege of entering their store......good luck .

CheesecakeTomek

Postby CheesecakeTomek » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:15 am

No more admission charge at the Music Inn (though I have heard that this was the case at some point in time!).
The air of arrogance can certainly be there, depending on who is working. I have had my share of awkward and enjoyable visits.
Plenty of instruments from all corners to check out, though none of the sitars will be properly set up, so forget about trying anything out.

Unfortunately that is about all we've got in terms of interesting musical instrument shops, as far as I know.
I would go ahead and check out the Brooklyn Raga Massive calendar: http://brooklynragamassive.com
They've got weekly concerts and special events, so there's a good chance you may be able to catch something.

Enjoy your stay!

Jojolefthishome

Postby Jojolefthishome » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:19 am

A fabulous guitar shop in Soho is Rudy's Music. No sitar's but a really fantastic shop!
Jay
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain" -Bob Marley

chrisitar

Postby chrisitar » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:40 am

coyootie wrote:I don't know who runs Music Inn now. Many years back I made the mistake of stopping by-the owners were arrogant,condescending and nasty. Prices were absurd.I have rarely experienced such complete jerks in any sort of retail biz.If I recall they were actually charging admission for the privilege of entering their store......good luck .

Same experience! I did spend some time tuning and actually changed a string on a black etawah style sitar since i'd never played one before and one of the workers played the electric sarod for a while with me, we actually played for around 3 hours and drew quite a crowd around us! but before they knew I could play they were very, i dont know, snobby i guess? I also couldn't believe they prices, but it is manhattan so par for the course.
Meend over matter

Return to “SITAR & SURBAHAR”