Using P-B sitar strings on fretless acoustic guitar for the bass strings?

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

ragarecords

Using P-B sitar strings on fretless acoustic guitar for the bass strings?

Post by ragarecords » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:04 am

I rescued an orphan acoustic guitar with a broken-off headstock from the trash and defretted it to have an instrument playable sarod-style. Non-wound P-B strings would be nicer for sliding up and down, even than flat wound.

Has anyone tried using the thicker low-low sa (4th) and low low pa (3rd) kharaj strings on a steel-string guitar? Any ideas how the tension load in the P-B strings compares with that of the regular wound guitar bass strings?

I guess I can experiment next time I have to restring, maybe tension is ok because i'm tuning B F# B F# B E so the bass strings are dropped down.

When I broke a G string on an electric I tried putting a sitar low sa (2nd) string on but to my surprise there was zero sound from it through the amp.
John Wilton
Raga Records
www.raga.com

katyrow

Re: Using P-B sitar strings on fretless acoustic guitar for the bass strings?

Post by katyrow » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:47 am

ragarecords wrote:When I broke a G string on an electric I tried putting a sitar low sa (2nd) string on but to my surprise there was zero sound from it through the amp.
Hi John, If the guitar had magnetic pickups, that's why there was no sound through the amp. To excite a magnetic pickup, the wire has to have some steel in it. PB electric guitar strings that work with magnetic pickups have steel cores or are composed in part from some other ferrous metal. PB sitar wire contains no ferrous metal.

Bhairava

Re: Using P-B sitar strings on fretless acoustic guitar for the bass strings?

Post by Bhairava » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:02 pm

I like the tuning for this application if the SA is C#

Using only 4 strings

Low string C#
A is empty
D is G#
G is Empty
C#
G#

This is a great tuning for a converted acoustic.

I use normal acoustic strings but thinker for the lower SA

Adjust string tension vs guage as needed

One of the reasons I like this modal set up is that you can strum the tonic and 5th which gives the shape much like a tanpura for a raga )