Ravi Shankar bass note tone.

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

barend

Re: Ravi Shankar bass note tone.

Post by barend » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:03 pm

Sitarfixer wrote:Here's the pick of the litter - the sitar used in Monteray, Woodstock on up into the 90's.
Great pictures and info as always Tony!
I am a little confused though. The fish tail was a Kanai Lal and the one from Monterey, Woodstock until in the 90's was a Nodu? Am I correct? He played all the time on that one sitar?

Sitarfixer

Post by Sitarfixer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:57 pm

Thank you all ! Glad to be able to share with fellow sitaraholics. From the looks of it ( especially the grape leaf carving on the back ) and general understanding, ALL of the "Nodu" sitars Raviji used were original Kanai Lal & Brother instruments. Nodu reworked them with fanatical obsession to the masterpieces they ending up being. The delightful lions that were etched in remained as I've seen other Kanai Lal & Bro sitars with it that Raviji did not have. There is one, maybe more fake badged sitars out there that sport a very crude copy of that lion. A story I heard relates how Nodu claimed "ownership and responsibility" for these amazing instruments. He would "allow" Raviji to use them on stage but after that, Nodu reclaimed them and loved on them like his children. Having spent an afternoon with him at the Kanai Lal & Bro shop, I would not dispute this tale of possession. The "Mojo" all of these Nodu sitars had was amazing. Holding them was like holding somebodies arm ! ! ! Not kidding ! ! !

CarbonSitars

Post by CarbonSitars » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks for sharing that piece of history, Tony. Really neat. Great to see so much care and attention went into those instruments.

barend

Post by barend » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:33 am

Sitarfixer wrote: ALL of the "Nodu" sitars Raviji used were original Kanai Lal & Brother instruments. Nodu reworked them with fanatical obsession to the masterpieces they ending up being.
ok, didn't know that they were actually Kanai Lal sitars. Thought that they were genuine Nodu sitars since they have the Nodu name tag. As seen on this famous picture: https://www.google.nl/search?q=ravi+sha ... 1e9NZTM%3A

and this one also: https://www.google.nl/search?q=ravi+sha ... oP5f21M%3A