New sitar & surbahar album

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

singing-gourd

New sitar & surbahar album

Post by singing-gourd » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:02 am

Hey Sitarfriends,
following my friend and gurubhai Jonathan Mayer on the path of shameless self-promotion :D i would like to share two videos of my recently released album:

Bhairavi on sitar/tabla:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7DSsyL62Co

Bhupali - sooltal on surbahar/pakhawaj:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO8JYH-rXRw

Hope some might enjoy.
kind regards,
Matyas

Kirya

Re: New sitar & surbahar album

Post by Kirya » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:45 am

I like the tone and sound of the sitar much more than the Hemant with the Niladri electro-sitar version in the thread on pickups.

Very nice
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA

singing-gourd

Post by singing-gourd » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks for listening Kirya. For this recording session we were very lucky that we had access to a small village church for the recordings. The room-acoustics turned out to be perfect for the sound i desired. In fact it was the first time that i did not use any eq, effect, compression etc. in the post-production. Pure microphone signal. We did another session there a few months later with the same setup. In the mix i used much more of the room-mic (a Blumelein pair) this time which i came to like even more:

Sitar & Tabla: Raga Adana: aochar and drut gat:
https://soundcloud.com/matyasitar/raga- ... r-drut-gat

gillo

Post by gillo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:45 am

Congrats on the album Matyas. Is the Bhairavi close-mic'd only or is there a room mic out of camera shot? What was the mix ratio of the 2 mics on surbahar? The surbahar combo probably would work well for sitar too. thanks.

Kirya, your Meyers mic should be able to get a comparable sound to this sdc with correct placement off the tabli somewhat and into a soundcard/interface. Pickups on the other hand really are just for live sound reinforcement not recording sessions.

singing-gourd

Post by singing-gourd » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:09 pm

Thanks gillo. the bhairavi-video was "staged" after the recordings, cause the cam did not work during that part of recording. so the mics you are seeing in that video are not the ones used for the sound-recording. The actual setup was the same as the one that can be seen in the surbahar-bhoopali video. I used the room mic a lot on both recordings - but due to its placement the tabla was a tad bit too loud compared to the sitar so i could not use the signal to the extent that i had actually planned.
One of the very few mics that work perfectly for recording AND stage is the Neumann KMS 105. (Jonathans sitar in the clip he posted here a while back was recorded & amplified with my 105).

gillo

Post by gillo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:40 pm

Interesting, the KMS 105 is now going on my 'list', it sounds good!

Did you mix Jonathan's concert and, if so, any tips? Sounds like the recording is coming straight out of the desk and not the speakers into the camera. With sitar, is the hypercardiod/supercardiod harder/easier to control live than cardiod (I can't see any monitors in that clip)? Sorry for all the questions but I'm mixing a series of concerts coming up so I'm revisiting all these questions after some years.

singing-gourd

Post by singing-gourd » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:05 am

Yes i mixed Jonathans and Sanjibs gig. It was a living-room sized house concert in our BerlinRagaTribe headquarters. Small room, good mics= easy job. For the first time i got to use a Zoom F8 field recorder which (with it´s routing options) gave me the possibility of recording the signal first and send it to the mixer-amplifier after that. That made a huge difference. Yes - hyper or supercardiod mic-signals are much better to handle onstage and give a more isolated, less feedback-prone signal. On tabla i used AKG C414 B-ULS set to hypercardoid. Again no eq´s, no compression, only a bit of reverb to compensate for the absence of a room mic.

gillo

Post by gillo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:49 pm

Thanks Matyas, that zoom f8 looks really good, another thing for the 'list'!