Sitar style questions

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

Sitar style questions

Post by StVitus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:13 am

A Vilayat Khan style sitar doesn’t have the two low strings. What takes their place? Is another chikari added and one kunti unused? Are two kunti unused? Why are the unused kunti on the instrument? Is it in case a musician decides to add strings latyer?

What is a Shahid Parvez Khan style sitar? Some of the big name makers sell them, but nobody explains what they are.

What is a Nikhil Banerjee style sitar? Rikhi Ram sells them and calls them “…an amalgamation of Pt. Ravi Shankar and Ustad Vilayat Khan style sitar. ” but doesn’t provide specifics.

barend

Re: Sitar style questions

Post by barend » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:54 am

StVitus wrote:A Vilayat Khan style sitar doesn’t have the two low strings. What takes their place? Is another chikari added and one kunti unused? Are two kunti unused? Why are the unused kunti on the instrument? Is it in case a musician decides to add strings latyer?

What is a Shahid Parvez Khan style sitar? Some of the big name makers sell them, but nobody explains what they are.

What is a Nikhil Banerjee style sitar? Rikhi Ram sells them and calls them “…an amalgamation of Pt. Ravi Shankar and Ustad Vilayat Khan style sitar. ” but doesn’t provide specifics.
VK sitar: yes the 2nd string is placed on the 3rd kunti and the second kunti is empty. Why? because you have more control over the 2nd string with the mizrab because there is more distance between string 1 and 2.

SP sitar: as far as I know it is the same as a VK sitar. Only it has a black finish. It's just a marketing thing. What I noticed is that SP is playing large meends in D tuning that are not possible on my KP sitars. Say a meend from S to komal Dha. On my sitar there is not enough room to do these when I tune in D. So I suspect that SP himself is using has a shorter scale neck. But I don't think that sitars advertised as SP sitar use a shorter scale neck.

NB sitar: mostly they call it like that because it has 8 strings (added high ga chikari/open string). BUT NB almost never used an 8-string as far as I know. So it is also a marketing thing. So a NB sitar is exactly the same as a RS sitar but the advertised NB sitars are 8-stringers.
Last edited by barend on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

desh

Post by desh » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:53 pm

barend wrote:SP sitar: as far as I know it is the same as a VK sitar. Only it has a black finish. It's just a marketing thing. What I noticed is that SP is playing large meends in D tuning that are not possible on my KP sitars. Say a meend from S to komal Dha. On my sitar there is not enough room to do these when I tune in D. So I suspect that SP himself is using has a shorter scale neck. But I don't think that sitars advertised as SP sitar use a shorter scale neck.
In an interview with Deepak Raj a few years back USP gives some details about the specifications of his sitar and how it was constructed. See "Engineering the Instrument" http://swaratala.blogspot.ca/2010_03_01_archive.html . In particular, I know that the tabli on his sitar is thicker than most.

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks!