Low sa intonation

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

Low sa intonation

Postby StVitus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:26 am

When my low Sa string is in tune the fretted notes are far off. Re, Ga, and ma are nearly half a step flat. Pa is about a quarter step flat, and Ma is between half and a quarter. The notes on the Pa string intonate well so I’m loathe to move the frets or bridge. What can I do to get these frets in tune?

barend

Re: Low sa intonation

Postby barend » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:45 am

Not much. You can file down the kharaj slot on the nut a bit (but be careful here not to do it too much). Or you can get a bass block. That's a small block under the kharaj and low pa string to correct the intonation. But these blocks are a PITA to set up right. Tony can do that very well but I can't. I had them on my sitar a few times but I took them off because of that. Also there is less room on the first fret for your fingers when you have that block. So I live with the poor intonation and play meends from the fret below. Just like RS and NB did. In their days there weren't any blocks as far as I know.

It is very hard to get good intonation on the bass strings on a sitar. Even the 2nd string can be off a bit on some frets. Also the intonation on the low Pa is mostly not perfect from the 5th fret and on. It is because of the round frets and the distance from the string to the frets. That's just one of the short comings of a sitar that you have to deal with.

StVitus

Re: Low sa intonation

Postby StVitus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:14 pm

Where can I buy a bass block? Would I need to buy a blank nut and cut the block myself?

Return to “SITAR & SURBAHAR”