Mangla Prasad Sharma sitars

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

katyrow

Mangla Prasad Sharma sitars

Post by katyrow » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:09 pm

I know from reviewing the forum archives that there were some serious fans of these sitars back in the 2002-4 time frame and that they were comparatively expensive at the time. I just picked one up that was made in about 2008. Don't have it yet. What is the current thought on these sitars from that era? Thx.

desh

Re: Mangla Prasad Sharma sitars

Post by desh » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:40 pm

katyrow wrote:I know from reviewing the forum archives that there were some serious fans of these sitars back in the 2002-4 time frame and that they were comparatively expensive at the time. I just picked one up that was made in about 2008. Don't have it yet. What is the current thought on these sitars from that era? Thx.
Hi,

I briefly met a sitarist (I think it was Alokesh Chandra ; there is youtube video of him playing on a mountain somewhere in Europe) about 12 years ago who had one of these sitars made in the Pandit Ravi Shankar style. If I remember correctly the sitar was commissioned thru his teacher (who was a disciple of Pandit Ravi Shankar). Alokesh told me that he had personally visited MPS's shop daily for a month to personally oversee the construction of the sitar. I did see the sitar up-close and from what I remember the quality of construction was outstanding.

Congratulations on acquiring what I suspect will be an excellent instrument.

Lars

Post by Lars » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:19 am

katyrow wrote:I know from reviewing the forum archives that there were some serious fans of these sitars back in the 2002-4 time frame and that they were comparatively expensive at the time. I just picked one up that was made in about 2008. Don't have it yet. What is the current thought on these sitars from that era? Thx.
2008 was after the end of his popular run. He lost all but one craftsman for a variety of reasons. About 6 years prior I had some nice ones he made. I was at his shop last year and all I could see was readymade stuff, nothing like what he used to do. He made decent teak sitars at one point although very thick, some should just be breaking in about now. He's more known for his Rudra Veena work, I saw 2 of them at the same visit which were very nice. Mangla is the uncle of Radhey Shyam Sharma in Varanasi, if you see some similar designs then might be his work (lotus, etc.).

Lars
http://www.raincitymusic.com

katyrow

Post by katyrow » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:53 pm

Lars wrote:
2008 was after the end of his popular run. He lost all but one craftsman for a variety of reasons. About 6 years prior I had some nice ones he made. I was at his shop last year and all I could see was readymade stuff, nothing like what he used to do. He made decent teak sitars at one point although very thick, some should just be breaking in about now. He's more known for his Rudra Veena work, I saw 2 of them at the same visit which were very nice. Mangla is the uncle of Radhey Shyam Sharma in Varanasi, if you see some similar designs then might be his work (lotus, etc.).

Lars
I don't have the sitar yet, but I do have more info on it. It was purchased from Sitars Etc. in 2007. The year it was made is unknown. Definitely tun, not teak, based on the photos. It appears to be in original condition. The seller still has all of the original Sitars Etc-branded accessories.

Also, I am always on the lookout for badly damaged instruments to work on (bowed or warped necks, cleaved tablis, destroyed tumbas), especially if they are thought to be beyond repair. Please keep me in mind if any of you have or run across anything like this. Thanks!

katyrow

Post by katyrow » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:54 pm

Got it. A pleasant surprise. Needed only a string change and polish. Is it tun or teak?
Attachments
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG (111.97 KiB) Viewed 468 times
IMG_3009.JPG
IMG_3009.JPG (146.44 KiB) Viewed 468 times
IMG_3008.JPG
IMG_3008.JPG (115.19 KiB) Viewed 468 times

katyrow

Post by katyrow » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:55 pm

More
Attachments
IMG_3013.JPG
IMG_3013.JPG (103.09 KiB) Viewed 468 times
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3011.JPG (105.05 KiB) Viewed 468 times

desh

Post by desh » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:07 pm

Wow, what a beautiful instrument! I remember lusting after one of years ago when Buckingham Music had started importing them.

You can find some information about the MPS sitars on the old buckingham site archive

http://web.archive.org/web/201103080607 ... /main.html

Plus a review:

http://web.archive.org/web/201103100021 ... eview.html

Lars

Post by Lars » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:37 am

desh wrote:Wow, what a beautiful instrument! I remember lusting after one of years ago when Buckingham Music had started importing them.

You can find some information about the MPS sitars on the old buckingham site archive

http://web.archive.org/web/201103080607 ... /main.html

Plus a review:

http://web.archive.org/web/201103100021 ... eview.html
Those were the days.....that was my review actually way back when. This recent one looks decent, a lot better than what I saw hanging in the shop last Spring so it's a good find I think.

Lars

MatSitar

Post by MatSitar » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Wow!! Stuning instrument! :o

Neal

Post by Neal » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:57 pm

Lars, I have such fond memories of that time as well. ICM was all new for me. I recently got a chance to play my Teak Mangla Prasad Sharma that was made around 2000 and it got me motivated to read some of the old archives in this forum. Mangla Culture Club. Teak vs. Tun and on and on. Nice memories.

Lars wrote: Those were the days.....that was my review actually way back when. This recent one looks decent, a lot better than what I saw hanging in the shop last Spring so it's a good find I think.

Lars

Lars

Post by Lars » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:23 am

Neal wrote:Lars, I have such fond memories of that time as well. ICM was all new for me. I recently got a chance to play my Teak Mangla Prasad Sharma that was made around 2000 and it got me motivated to read some of the old archives in this forum. Mangla Culture Club. Teak vs. Tun and on and on. Nice memories.

Lars wrote: Those were the days.....that was my review actually way back when. This recent one looks decent, a lot better than what I saw hanging in the shop last Spring so it's a good find I think.

Lars
I still have my card that KK made, you?

Lars

Neal

Post by Neal » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:33 pm

Lars wrote:
Neal wrote:Lars, I have such fond memories of that time as well. ICM was all new for me. I recently got a chance to play my Teak Mangla Prasad Sharma that was made around 2000 and it got me motivated to read some of the old archives in this forum. Mangla Culture Club. Teak vs. Tun and on and on. Nice memories.

I still have my card that KK made, you?

Lars
No, I never got one. :(

trippymonkey

Post by trippymonkey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:34 pm

OOH GORGEOUS instrument !!!!

Hope it sounds as good as it looks.
Off in 2 weeks to India again so will see what goodies I can help turn up THIS trip.

Nick