Fretboard angle and gourd position?

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

themodestokid

Fretboard angle and gourd position?

Postby themodestokid » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Until now I have been playing with the gourd resting on the ground to the side of my left foot, and the neck at about a 45 degree angle from horizontal. But this morning I was trying resting the gourd on my foot and holding the neck at a lower angle, closer to horizontal. That seems to work pretty well -- any thoughts?

Jojolefthishome

Re: Fretboard angle and gourd position?

Postby Jojolefthishome » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:15 am

When I practice I rest the gourd on my foot in the correct position until it falls asleep :D then I move it to the floor for a few minutes or on a tabla ring but I always keep the angle the same at about 45 degrees. I find that to be the most natural way to hold it.
Jay
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain" -Bob Marley

Sillofthedoor

Re: Fretboard angle and gourd position?

Postby Sillofthedoor » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:18 pm

KP players tend to play it more vertical than GP players because of the need to balance the upper gourd.

Both (as it were) schools assure me that they holding it at 45 degrees though :D

and it rests on foot unless you are disabled (however moderately, but can offer some excuse) or else you are being deliberately provocative or (far worse), wrong!lol.

Return to “SITAR & SURBAHAR”