Mizrab wore like a little finger ring

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

MatSitar

Mizrab wore like a little finger ring

Postby MatSitar » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:30 pm

Does somebody knows the reason why masters like Pandit Ravi Shankar and Pandit Budhaditya Mukherjee are wearing a mizrab like a ring on the little finger? I was wondering :)

Lars

Re: Mizrab wore like a little finger ring

Postby Lars » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:37 pm

It is so they have an extra one and they don't lose them.

Lars
http://www.raincitymusic.com

barend

Postby barend » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:19 pm

Lars wrote:It is so they have an extra one and they don't lose them.

Lars

Is that so? I also wondered why they do it. You can just as well put it on one of the taraf pegs. It doesn't feel natural and convenient to me to place a spare mizrab on my pinky.

Sitarfixer

Postby Sitarfixer » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:10 am

Been wearing mizrabs as rings for too many years. The kirlian effect lasts for hours after I take the thing off. Mizrabs , larger ones especially can fall off the peg. I've picked up dozens of them over the years from that. Best bet is to lift up the high chikari string off its post, slip the mizrab over the post and let the string keep it in place. If anybody asks about the ring, I just tell them the stone fell out !

barend

Postby barend » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:24 am

Sitarfixer wrote: Best bet is to lift up the high chikari string off its post, slip the mizrab over the post and let the string keep it in place.

That's a cool trick Tony! Never thought about doing that. Just don't like it on my pinky when I am playing. I always keep a spare one around the taraf pegs. I am playing with the same mizrab for over 8 years now I think. It has nice thick wire and I was unable to find that same wire mizrab again. Would like to have a few more of the exact same ones but I don't remember where I bought them.

MatSitar

Postby MatSitar » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:24 pm

Thank you guys! It makes sense. Glad I found this place to ask my questions on Sitars! Beside my Guru, there is no place I can find infos on the subject here in Montréal.

trippymonkey

Postby trippymonkey » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:35 am

If it's put on one of the chikari posts, won't it rattle around & disturb the chikari SA note while playing?

StVitus

Postby StVitus » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:50 pm

Wouldn’t it be easier to just keep a bag of mizrabs in the sitar case? I know that wasn’t an option decades ago when Ravi Shankar was wearing them as rings and he had to carry his instrument around in a silk bag, but it’s 2016 and we have big fiberglass cases now.

Sitarfixer

Postby Sitarfixer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:35 am

Well, yuuuuhhh ! The mizrab held with the chikari post will rattle around while playing. Lift the chikari string, remove the offending mizrab, replace the string on the post, put the mizrab on the index finger and play yer brains out ! ! ! 8)

Sitarfixer

Postby Sitarfixer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:39 am

Actually, it's 2017 now and I still manage to lose my adorable little red velvet mizrab bags. Max the cat has better luck finding them than I do although I suspect he's the one who relocates these bags in the first place. I've lost more than one bag of prized mizrabs over the years so I keep extras in cases, on chikari posts, on my pinky and on the instrument display stands. Thinking about making a mizrab tool to roll my own.

Return to “SITAR & SURBAHAR”