Bead placement and usage

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

themodestokid

Bead placement and usage

Postby themodestokid » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Should all four of the primary strings have beads on them for tuning? Currently only my top three do. Also the bead for the third string is located next to the tuning peg, not below the bridge as on the first two strings. Is this standard? I have not fully figured out how to use the beads, beyond a vague "If the tone is almost but not quite right, if you push at the bead a little bit it will sound better" -- is there a more precise rule for when to use the beads instead of the tuners?

Where is the best position for the beads below the bridge? When I got this instrument they were all the way at the end of the strings, and I left them there until recently. The other day I pushed them about an inch away from the end of the strings, thinking that will give me more leeway to adjust them.

StVitus

Re: Bead placement and usage

Postby StVitus » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:56 pm

Should all four of the primary strings have beads on them for tuning?

Probably. But not all makers ship them that way. You can buy one from Rain City Music.

Also the bead for the third string is located next to the tuning peg, not below the bridge as on the first two strings. Is this standard?

That is normal.

…is there a more precise rule for when to use the beads instead of the tuners?

When you tune your sitar try to get it a little flat by tuning UP while pushing in on the peg. This will help prevent slipping. Then pull the bead away from the bridge to get your instrument in tune. Bends will sometimes pull the string flat, that’s when you reach up and adjust the bead to get back in tune.

themodestokid

Postby themodestokid » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:45 pm

thanks!

Sitarfixer

Postby Sitarfixer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:32 am

Personal preference here. I like all four strings loaded with duckies or beads, whether up with the pegs or down behind the bridge. A bead at both ends for the kharaj string is a good idea as well. I recommend it. Raviji even had a little bead for the high chikari string although it had very little effect. It eventually came off. I have that little devil tucked away along with the original #3 string bead which got brown and flat with years of use. That will make a nice stone for a ring one of these days ! Placement for beads behind the bridge - leave the bead loose and tune the string where you want it. Yank the string to seat the string and fine tune once more. Repeat as necessary until the string stays in tune. Now slide the bead or duckie until it wedges in between the string and tabli. This leaves you with maximum available tuning range for that bead. Up with the pegs - set the beads by the nut, tune string to the desired pitch and then wedge that bead up a bit towards the peg. Watch out for cosmetic damage - skid marks from dragging beads. These beads should be flattened on the bottom and padded with a leather piece glued on. This also keeps these beads from rolling sideways - stability, ya know ! Leather bottomed beads down by the tail piece is good for cosmetics but does have a tendency to rock and slip back up to the bridge, especially if the string is meended. That ugly strip of sand paper is best suited to keep the bead in place once positioned.

mizrable

Postby mizrable » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:26 am

if you are having problems getting a leather bottom bead to stick try scoring the bottom of it with an exacto knife
a few X's should do the job!

Return to “SITAR & SURBAHAR”