Sitar Maestro Abdul Halim Jaffer Khan Dead At 88

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

desh

Sitar Maestro Abdul Halim Jaffer Khan Dead At 88

Postby desh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Very sad news...

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/sitar-ma ... 88-1645133

MUMBAI: Renowned sitar player Abdul Halim Jaffer Khan, - the last survivor of the 'Sitar Trinity' of India along with the late Pandit Ravi Shankar and Ustad Vilayat Khan - died in Mumbai today after a brief illness, a family member said. He was 88.

He breathed his last at his Bandra residence around 5 pm, his son and sitar player Zunain A Khan told IANS.

Conferred with the Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Sangeet Natak Akademi awards, Mr Khan hailed from the Indore Gharana and is credited for innovating the unique music style of 'Jafferkhani Baaj'.

Born in Jawra, Madhya Pradesh, he, during his music career spanning over six decades, played the sitar for various Bollywood films, including "Mughal-E-Azam", "Kohinoor", "Goonj Uthi Shehnai" and "Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baaje", among many others.

CheesecakeTomek

Re: Sitar Maestro Abdul Halim Jaffer Khan Dead At 88

Postby CheesecakeTomek » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:26 am

Thank you for sharing this, very sad new indeed.

barend

Postby barend » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:33 am

That's sad. Great player from the 'golden age'! although I don't get the Trinity thing cause they left out Nikhil Banerjee.

desh

Postby desh » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:48 pm

barend wrote:That's sad. Great player from the 'golden age'! although I don't get the Trinity thing cause they left out Nikhil Banerjee.

I've seen the "Trinity" reference many times over the years. I'm pretty sure the term came into use when Ustad Vilayat Khan,Pandit Ravi Shankar and Ustad Halim Jaffer Khan were all still alive (and Pandit Nikhil Banerjee had sadly already passed) so they were collectively referred to as the "sitar trinity".

StVitus

Postby StVitus » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:10 pm

The trinity might be because they were all born in the 1920s. Banerjee was born in 1931.

Hamletsghost

Postby Hamletsghost » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:19 am

:cry: Heartbroken :cry:

Such innovation, such passion, a truly unique artist in all ways.
The Indore Gharana has lost it's elder statesman. The quality & innovation of the Jaffirkhani Bhaj is impressive beyond compare & stands as a testament to this great artists life work.
His son Zunain will now carry on this tradition with dignity & grace & I send my most heartfelt condolences to his family.
My guru always pointed to Khan-sahib as the purest sound still living of our gharana while being a total individual & taking the music so far from his beginnings.

If you haven't been there before here is his site:
www.jafferkhanibaaj.com

Search out his music it is truly inspirational.

I remain humbly
Hamletsghost 8)
PEACE THRU MUSIC
Larry Darrell LIVES!

Return to “SITAR & SURBAHAR”