New surbahar

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

New surbahar

Post by StVitus » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:58 pm

I just bought this surbahar at a local music store. A collector had sold them three ouds, a sarod, and a surbahar. They advertised the surbahar for $400 because they assumed there was no local market. I tried it out and it seemed good, so I bought it. There’s old dust in the decoration, so I think this is vintage. It needs new strings, and the pegs have no chalk left, so I’ll have to fix that before I can really play it. Unfortunately there’s no makers mark. I’ve posted a bunch of big photos to Flickr, does anyone recognize the maker?

Flickr Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/28813954@ ... 7442686911

StVitus

Re: New surbahar

Post by StVitus » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:23 am

So far I found a photo of an instrument with the same distinctive foot on Amazon listed as a Banjira. I found another site selling a Banjira Surbahar that claims it was made by RKS.

Lars

Post by Lars » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:35 pm

It's a generic instrument made in Uluberia/Kolkata. The tabli is really narrow for a surbahar but there's a long zone for the width which is good as you can move the bridge where it's needed and it should balance visually. The inlaid birds aren't in the right place so most likely you'll have the bridge on top of them but ok for $400 can't complain at all and antler bridges too!

Lars
http://www.raincitymusic.com

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Thanks, Lars. I’ll send you an email about strings. Also, would this fit into a the generic surbahar cases sold online? Or should I talk to D. K. Das about building a case?

nicneufeld

Post by nicneufeld » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:10 pm

That's a pretty good price for any surbahar, even if its of more humble origins! Hopefully you can get it playing and sounding quite nice, and if so, you've saved a decent packet.