Sharing recordings from a recent performance

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

CheesecakeTomek

Sharing recordings from a recent performance

Post by CheesecakeTomek » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:41 pm

Greetings all,

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to perform for the first with tabla and tanpura accompaniment. It is far from perfect, but I am overall proud of my achievement and thought to share with the community as I have found so much inspiration and insight here throughout the years.

The program, performed at Ananda Ashram in Monroe, NY (hour north of NYC), was a morning concert for the New Year (Jan. 1). I was accompanied by Rob Morrison on tabla (student of Davesh Chandra) and my fellow student Tana Veera on tanpura. We performed:

-Jaunpuri
-Alahiya Bilawal
-Dhun

The dhun came out nicely, I think, and I have it shared on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXIdIbcbLE8
The view is from my kitchen window in NYC :)

The other two, being of longer format, certainly show my limitations and the journey I have ahead of me. Nevertheless, you can check them out here if you'd like: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i8jbk36b5naq ... EtEKa?dl=0

The Bilawal is shorter: short alap and vilambit.

Jaunpuri is a full format performance, hesitant to share, but there it is. There are a few spots where I lose my place in the middle of a kharaj meend... :oops: :roll: Overall I like the alap and jor, but I've got a long way to go with the gats/jhalla.

Also, that recording comes in after recovering from my second string breaking 2 minutes into the concert (!) - live and learn...

Happy to hear any feedback (including the mix! I need to get a better sense for that). Otherwise hope you enjoy and thanks for listening.

Best wishes,
Tomek