Warning: Don’t buy Banjira strings.

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

Warning: Don’t buy Banjira strings.

Postby StVitus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:52 am

Tonight I tried replacing my second string with a Banjira string from a set I bought on Amazon. These strings are terrible! They come out of the package corroded. The new Banjira string looked worse than the one I had been using for a month. I broke one when it twisted while I was putting it on the peg. I broke a second stretching the string to make it stay in tune. I’ve been playing stringed instruments for over twenty strings and never used such awful strings. Do yourself a favor and just buy Roslau wire from a bulk supplier.

mizrable

Re: Warning: Don’t buy Banjira strings.

Postby mizrable » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:19 pm

mapes and pyramid oxidize the least
they are tinned
precision wire may also be tinned but im not sure

trippymonkey

Postby trippymonkey » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:51 am

Banjira are the most ridiculously overpriced rubbish sellers on Ebay !!!!!
Their postage charges are scandalous !!!!!

Who are they really & where are they based, anyone know??

Nick

Pin

Postby Pin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Sorry to hear about your experience. Any recommendations on the best place to bulk strings in "in bulk" (not precut)?

nicneufeld

Postby nicneufeld » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:38 pm

Pin wrote:Sorry to hear about your experience. Any recommendations on the best place to bulk strings in "in bulk" (not precut)?

My pick would be Lars:
http://raincitymusic.com/sitar-strings.htm#Bulk%20coils

rex@sitar.co.za

Postby rex@sitar.co.za » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:34 pm

nicneufeld wrote:My pick would be Lars:
http://raincitymusic.com/sitar-strings.htm#Bulk%20coils

Agreed, Roslau are the best and one of those coils will last a lifetime.

Sillofthedoor

Postby Sillofthedoor » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:06 pm

I have some rosalue coils and they are good quality, I prefer though pyramids 678's maybe just becuase they are finished better, tinned or whatever... which would mean I'm a sucker for looks of substance ...but they are my best. I found their email address and order them direct, far cheaper.

I also tried newtone strings made here in the uk and they are really good quality, but I didn't like the main string, its stiffer than pyramids. I may try a combination between the two, when I have time to better compare the differences, using some of the newtons for the heavier strings but its easier to just order Pyramids.

either of them may do coils if you ask...?

Lars

Postby Lars » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:06 pm

Sillofthedoor wrote:I have some rosalue coils and they are good quality, I prefer though pyramids 678's maybe just becuase they are finished better, tinned or whatever... which would mean I'm a sucker for looks of substance ...but they are my best. I found their email address and order them direct, far cheaper.

I also tried newtone strings made here in the uk and they are really good quality, but I didn't like the main string, its stiffer than pyramids. I may try a combination between the two, when I have time to better compare the differences, using some of the newtons for the heavier strings but its easier to just order Pyramids.

either of them may do coils if you ask...?

I have a feeling that Newtone is using Mapes wire for their steel as it feels the same.....Pyramid steel is made by Roslau actually in custom batches from what I know, their bronze is made in France.

Lars
http://www.raincitymusic.com

rex@sitar.co.za

Postby rex@sitar.co.za » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Sillofthedoor wrote:I have some rosalue coils and they are good quality, I prefer though pyramids 678's maybe just becuase they are finished better, tinned or whatever...

I tried some Pyramids but didn't notice difference in sound compared with Roslau.
They are a little shiner but I've noticed that, for me anyway, they snap sooner.
But, all this is probably just unique to my sitar, the kind of sound I like and the way I play.

mizrable

Postby mizrable » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:46 am

tinned wire is the way to go if you live in a humid climate
all wires oxidize
fresh is best
make sure you store your wires in an airtight container maybe with silica beads or rice as a desicant.
putting each coil in its own ziplock bag is a also a good idea
make sure you keep your instrument covered with cloth in and out of the case
this will ensure you get the most out of each string

Return to “SITAR & SURBAHAR”