Can't move Frets around due to Tuning Pegs...What's the Problem?

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Blind Lemon Mike

Can't move Frets around due to Tuning Pegs...What's the Problem?

Post by Blind Lemon Mike » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:36 pm

Hey there,

I'm new to this forum, my Name is Mike, 25 , from Germany, and I am learning sitar since 6 months now (coming from guitar, as i guess many Sitar-players do...

Up until now I only played the Kalyan Scale since my teacher started to play Rag Yaman with me. He asked me to practice different Scales like, that include the komal Re and Komal Dha, which i found that i can't get on my Sitar. It's a used Radhey Shyam Sharma Half Deco Sitar, which I thought should not be a generally bad Instrument ?

The Problem is that the position of the Tuning Pegs don't allow my to put the Fret in the right Place. Since the Bridge was off the Sitar at one Time, due to a repair, i was guessing that the whole Scale-lenght is a little bit off ? . Would the Bridge be further back , i could probably intonate the Frets correctly since its only about a quartertone that i cannot move anymore because the Pegs are in the way?

Could that be the reason why this problem occurs and is it a common problem ? How do you determine the exact bridge Position on a Sitar?

Thanks for your help and excuse my English...

regards
michael

coyootie

Re: Can't move Frets around due to Tuning Pegs...What's the Problem?

Post by coyootie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:31 am

hello Michael. yes, you may be able to fix your problem by moving the bridge slightly doqn towards the bottom of the sitar. This is a common issue with s itars that are made carelessly ( far too many of them). your sitar may have been fine at first but perhaps the bridge movement was not adjusted for later. If you are lucky this will fix your problem with fret placement, but you must be warned shifting the bridge can also really throw off the jewari... so good luck. Exact bridge position is not neccessarily a concept in sitar construction-there are parameters of where it should be approximately but there are so many variables in sitar construction that there is no hard rule about placement. You have to work with your instrument until you get it to work! and even not-so-great sitars can be improved very much with a lot of small adjustments.

Blind Lemon Mike

Post by Blind Lemon Mike » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:08 pm

Thanks for your fast reply.

I tried this and managed to get the Bridge to a Position where i can now intonate all Frets correctly. I just was concerned that the Bridge has to be in an exact place because of its roundness and the roundness of the Sitar-Top, since this is a concern with Violins and Archtop-Guitars etc...

You are right though that the Sound did change quite a bit. The low Pa and low Sa Strings actually sound a lot better then before.

The Ma String is more buzzy now and a little bit darker, while the higher Sa String is significantly quieter and darker...

maybe i should bring the Instrument to an expert one day but for now it should work.

Thanks
Michael

coyootie

Post by coyootie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:23 pm

hi BLM- sounds like it worked pretty well,great! but if you can find an experienced person to do your jewari fine-tune, do that. Eventually you may want to learn how to do that yourself.If you are dextrous and understand the sound you want- it seems like you have a good idea of that-you will figure it out.There are some descriptions online and some youtube that will help a little, but basically you have to get the experience and trial and error to get it right.